Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 03:21 PM

Default PS 2/4: Turn Fold

Got a little over 100 hands on my opponent. He's 35/13.5 with a 39% WSD. Flop and turn AF around .5, river aggression is 1.5.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Scott
Old 08-28-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: PS 2/4: Turn Fold

I think you answered your own question. With an AF of .5, I wouldn't hesitate to fold the turn or even the flop for that matter. He would not be betting like this with a hand you beat.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:34 PM

I think I fold the flop, even though we might have 3.5 outs there's going to be a redraw to avoid, if not the flop it's an easy turn fold.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:22 PM

Turn fold is very easy, flop fold seems standard
Old 08-28-2005, 08:29 PM

Think about consistency here:

If you are planning to fold the turn, why are you calling on the flop?

At most, we are looking to pick up one of two set cards or 8 cards that will give us OES redraws. Since we'll only hit those straights like 1 in 5 times, we're only talking about 3.5-4 outs here.

Hence, we don't have odds to call to just get to the turn. So, if you're calling on the flop it is because you think you have the best hand often enough to merit showing this down. If that is the case, you need to start getting more aggressive here since you are vulnerable to overcards and because you'd like to take control to get to showdown as cheaply as possible.

So it would seem to me your flop options are either to check-fold, or perhaps to bet into your opponent and reevaluate based on future action. As it stands I think that check-folding is fine.

[Note: This situation is different from the WA/WB line advocated in HPFAP for times when holding a big pair on a single overcard flop. The three-bet pre-flop, the vulnerability to two overcards, and the passivity of our opponent mean we either need to check out of this early or get on the offensive.]
Old 08-28-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I fold the flop, even though we might have 3.5 outs there's going to be a redraw to avoid, if not the flop it's an easy turn fold.

[/ QUOTE ]