Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 01-12-2004, 04:22 PM

Default StoneColdNuts tourney at UB

I was a part of the big Million dollar+ tourney yesterday at Ultimate Bet. There were 701 players registered, with the top 100 spots paying out. First place took home 330,000, and 100th paid 1400. Unfortunately, i finished 279th, which isn't too bad, but obviously, no money. I just wanted to talk about the hand that knocked me out, and see what everyone's opinion was about what happened. I was in 240th place at the time with 1800 chips, and blinds were 100-200. I wasn't in great shape, obviously, but still alive. I was in first position with pocket aces. I pondered raising one bet to 400, but thought i might just steal the blinds, and I needed to get a good pot with these aces. So, I just called the big blind. I was hoping someone would raise me, and I could quickly reraise or go heads up with my aces. The rest of the table folded, though, except for the blinds, who both played. The flop came K 3 7, all spades, and I did not have the ace of spades. Oh, great, I thought. The small blind checked, big blind bet 600, and I had to move my remaining 1600 chips in. He called. He didn't have the spades, though, but a K 3 offsuit, for 2 pair, against my aces. I didn't catch another ace and lost right there. I guess that is an example of the risks of slow playing aces (or any other big hand), but if I had raised one bet preflop and just collect the blinds, I am kicking myself for not getting a big pot. Oh well, just another bad beat, I guess. Unfortunately, it came at the worst time. Any replys, please feel free.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:58 PM

Default Re: StoneColdNuts tourney at UB

Yep, thats the risk of slowplaying, sometimes 1 in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

Same thing happend to me in the KoTZ tourney last week.

I slowplayed my KK to a steal raise and the flop came 2 clubs, I went allin and was called by A8c a club came on the river.

I was about average chip position, and I went out on the bubble. They guy that beat me on that hand ended up taking 3rd.

Ho hum....Maybe next time.

WJ

I know thats not what you want to hear, but...

Better luck next time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 05:19 PM

Tho still very much a rookie at online poker and especially as I play at UB, I have found almost always with pocket aces to not stretch my luck, but bet them early with a med raise (double the blind or the pot amount pre flop) and take my chances on the flop having at least created a impression in the other players mind. The main reason is I always feel like a complete dummy if I slow play them and lose the best starting hand there is.

One man's opinion....chuckle
Old 01-12-2004, 05:25 PM

Thanks for responding. I agree, and I will be very reluctant to try and slow play them again. But, like I said, I most likely just take down the blinds with my pre-flop raise, and I definitely needed more than that at that point. But, at least I still would have been playing, right! Poker- you gotta love it!!
Old 01-12-2004, 05:38 PM

I would very rarely advocate slow playing aces.

However, I feel that you found a time that isn't such a bad one, you felt you were short stacked and took a decision to gamble a little.

Other people take this decision all the time by raising all in with K7 suited or something similar when they are short, and this is considered acceptable, your gamble just took a different form.

Personally I couldn't say whether I'd have played the same, but I don't think there is anything wrong with this play if you felt that gambling to try to double through was a required option at this stage.

The fact you got beat shouldn't cloud your judgement, your judgement was (presumably) based on solid reasoning preflop, it certainly looks like you felt some gambling was in order, and it doesn't appear to be a dumb time to gamble.

Lori
Old 01-12-2004, 05:38 PM

I was at the table for that hand (GYPSTER). I believe the guy actually filled up on the river, right?

Regardless, here's my rule of thumb: Yes, I will go for the limp-reraise with aces or kings sometimes. But if I go for it and nobody takes the bait, I don't care how raggedy the flop looks, I will not get broke with them, with very few exceptions.

I think you had ample opportunity to get away from the hand, especially with the spades on board, but fell in love with 'em, which is understandable.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:29 PM

Thanks for your response. And, congratulations on your impressive finish, what a nice chunk of change you made there! Yes, you are right, and what a great memory you have to remember that hand after all of them hours of playing! He did catch another king on the river for the full house. I guess I could have laid down the aces after seeing that flop with all spades and his bet. I guess I was hoping he just hit the king, and of course I would have been ahead. He obviously doesn't call a preflop raise with K3 offsuit, but I chose not to, and paid the ultimate price. If I laid them down there, I only have 1600 chips left, the blinds hit me next, and go up again in 5 minutes, and I am looking very desperate then. So, that is why I pushed them all in, and took a hard lesson at the wrong time. While I have you here, there were at least 4 pros in the tourney that I knew of (Kathy Leibert, Layne Flack, Chris Bigler, and Erik Seidel), do you know of any others that were in? You would think Annie and Phil were playing, right? Thanks again, and congrats!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:38 PM

Phil Gordon (tallphil), Phil Ivey (joe buttons) also played. we've had two posts that said dill pickle was a pro but one said johnny chan and the other mike matusow. Who knows.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:44 PM

You're Gypster? Congrats then!! It's always nice to hear of a 2+2er having success.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:51 PM

Thanks for your response. You wouldn't happen to know what Annie and Phil's screen names were, would you? Just curious to see how they finished.