Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Annual Poker Goals

Alan Shoonmaker has a nice practical article in the most current card player mag about setting poker goals. I am formulating goals for myeslf and am intersted in reading others goals to share ideas.

I have a bankroll goal for 6 months and 12 months
I have a couple goals about moving up in stakes and playing profitably at those new levels.

Then I have some area's to look at but haven't formulated anything specific. Those area's thus far are:

Value betting
Putting opponents on hands- while not in hand as well as in hand
Odds/hand ranges/folding equity
Emotional stability
Verbalizing reasoning why I am going to take a particular action
Posting hands
Learning another game?
Sit n go moving up?
better Multi table set up?
VP$P and/or other stat refinement?
Gear changing/lag hand chart/reasons to switch gears?
play styles for different positions, table dynamics\

Are others working on goals? I'd like to see what your working on. Also if anyone has any feedback for me that would be appreciated as well.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Annual Poker Goals

I've started in February 2005 and I'm still very much a beginner. I have two simple goals for 2006, I'll list them in order of importance:

1. Learn much much more, especially learn to keep my mind with the game and put the other players on hands. I tend to start grinding which is completely stupid as it's a hobby and not a job. Typical situation of getting to the top of the mountain (more money) being more important then the actual climbing (playing poker)

2. Earning enough online to fund a trip to Vegas januari 2007 and play as much live as I can. The goal in Vegas is to earn the trip back.

If I keep earning $$ at the slow but steady rate I'm doing now number 2 should be doable. If I accomplish number 1 number 2 will only be one of the great things I can do because of this fantastic hobby!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:37 PM

last year in december i didn't even know hold'em exists. things have changed a bit, but i still consider myself a beginner, too.

when i started my goal was to develop poker into a hobby that can pay for a second vacation each year and i reached this goal already.
vancouver here i come [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

my goal for 2006 are:

focusing on nl-hold'em. (last year i switched the game whenever i run bad.)
playing at least an average of 15k nlhe-hands a month
reach the nl $100 level (i'm rolled, but i don't feel ready)
becoming a break even player at limit-holdem (my trouble game)
playing enough omaha, stts, mtts and other games to fight the boredom
Old 12-27-2005, 02:47 AM

I should really vow to stop browsing 2+2 while playing and start paying attention to the tables.

But more seriously, I plan to significantly improve my short handed game, and learn to handle bad beats better (I will generally externalize my anger). The BBV fourm has been pretty thereputic.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:29 PM

I'm taking off my skirt.

I've beaten the hell out of 5+.50 and smaller MTT tournaments and $10+1 and smaller SnG's on 'stars this year; enough to pay my mortgage a couple months (when work was running bad), some various toys and just yesterday a much nicer diamond ring for my wife than the one she had.

This year I'm going to beat the $20+2 180 player 'stars SnGs and MTTs in the <$30+3 range. I don't plan on playing many regular SnG's and will only do it to blow off steam (<$10+1). I'm going to subsidise this through the $3R and $5R satellites to the weekly big one (I already do this to some degree, it's like picking up money).

I will dedicate a (yet undetermined) portion of my winnings and time to enter satellites to B&M tournaments, $500k post tax is a life-changing amount of money to me. I will play select tournaments in Blackhawk, CO to hone my live tourney game.

Results goals are 30% of my yearly income from poker, a no expense spared trip to Vegas and some remodeling in my house.