Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Running it twice...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good idea if:

It doesn't slow the game down too much.
You can't handle variance.
If someone in the hand goes broke, the game would break.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think "You can't handle variance" is relevant. If you can't handle the variance, you shouldn't be in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, fine, you have a point, but on the other hand I can sit down with 200 bucks, and while I can handle losing it, that also has to mean my night is over, and frankly I'd like to not drop it in one hand.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a good idea if:

It doesn't slow the game down too much.
You can't handle variance.
If someone in the hand goes broke, the game would break.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think "You can't handle variance" is relevant. If you can't handle the variance, you shouldn't be in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, fine, you have a point, but on the other hand I can sit down with 200 bucks, and while I can handle losing it, that also has to mean my night is over, and frankly I'd like to not drop it in one hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Greenstein made a good point a few months ago when he was on L@TB. If you always allow people to run the cards multiple times they do not fear your raises. They think that they are all right moving in or calling with draws because chances are they will at least 1/3rd of the pot (if you run it 3 times). I see it all the time with Mo our NL host at the bike. He'll always run the cards multiple times (and most people will comply) and that allows him to move over the top with little fear. It is true that multiple runs do not change the EV one iota but there is definitely an "image" argument against it.

It also makes for a less exciting show which is why I try to discourage the players from doing it--lol.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:08 PM

Here is a hand I played several months ago in a private game. Villian is a nice guy, but very supersitious. He is one of the reasons I am in the game, he has lots of money and is the ATM in this game. One of his supersitions is losing his first AI/big hand, I have seen him pack it up several times after losing his first big hand saying "well I am going to be unlucky tonight, better just stop now".

We get into a big hand, the board reads AA7r, he has AJ and I have AK. I 3-bet AI to his c/r. We finally decide to run it three times. He took the first run with a J on the turn, I took the next two with blanks.

He was happy that he "did not lose his first AI" so he rebought instead of packing it in for the night. I was happy that I kept him in the game and took the majority of a big pot.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first run comes runner-runner clubs then the second run blanks off giving AA the scoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the winner of the second run got to scoop the whole pot, irregardless of the first run's outcome. Was this their agreement?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 AM

AA won both runs.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The first run comes runner-runner clubs then the second run blanks off giving AA the scoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the winner of the second run got to scoop the whole pot, irregardless of the first run's outcome. Was this their agreement?

[/ QUOTE ]

irregardless is not a word.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no point in running it twice if the guy who wins the second run automatically scoops the pot. If Player A wins the first run and Player B wins the second run, they chop the pot. Otherwise, one player scoops. I can't imagine that their agreement was anything else.

And as for "irregardless," it's a word. But it sounds silly.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed that the AA hand had the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so he made the nut flush the first time to beat the QJ's Q-high flush and, on the second time, his pair of aces held up as the best hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't handle the variance, you shouldn't be in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not right. You can be risk-averse and still be correct to sit in a profitable game. The benefit may outweigh the risk. When you have the chance to run a hand multiple times, you get to reduce the risk without changing the EV.

Would you be happy to bet half of your bankroll on AA vs. KK preflop? Most of us would, but we would be much more comfortable if we could run it multiple times.