Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: 67s - 100NL - i probably play bad

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, push over that $30 bet. No other way to play it. In position you can call a flop lead sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm suprised at the number of replies that have advised a push on the flop - looking back it seems like the best line to take.

i'd never seen villain do anything like this so i put him on an overpair. i wasn't sure if i wanted him to call my push - should i? i probably play scared so i just called. how bad is that??

[/ QUOTE ]

a push might induce a fold, which gives you another way to win the hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:00 PM

see my post earlier.. i need comments on the turn card.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:05 PM

Youi have 9 flush draw outs.
You also have the non diamond 5s and 10's for 2 more outs, = 4.
you also have 3 more 6's and 7's but you'll probably need 3 of them to win, because i think he's got a set.
so, without the 6and 7's you have 13 outs in 47 cards = about 1:3.5 With just one opponent, you are getting 1;1 odds on your bets; not good at all.
You must also factor in whether you can stack your opponent if you hit your draw. Generally TAG players fold, and loose ones call.
IMO, this is not a heads up hand. This is a great multiway pot hand, where youir bet is matched by 2 or 3 others.
In your particular hand, the questions become:
"Will he call my push if I hit my hand?
More importantly, "If I hit my hand, is it good?"

I definitely fold this hand after trying to win it with a big flop bet, and i find myself heads up facing a big raise.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, push over that $30 bet. No other way to play it. In position you can call a flop lead sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm suprised at the number of replies that have advised a push on the flop - looking back it seems like the best line to take.

i'd never seen villain do anything like this so i put him on an overpair. i wasn't sure if i wanted him to call my push - should i? i probably play scared so i just called. how bad is that??

[/ QUOTE ]

you were close to "indifferent" of him calliing, all but a set or better FD and you were ahead. The problem with calling is now you are only about 33% to make your hand and have less fold equity. Had the turn been a diamond you were much less likely to get his chips in the middle. So a flop call was very bad.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:58 PM

Push or fold are your two flop options. You are a favorite against most of villain's probable range so pushing is most +EV.

I think calling is the most -EV thing you can do here because if you hit your draw villain is not going to immediately hand his stack over to you. He will most likely fold to any sign of aggressive once a scare card hits. You will also not get correct odds to call his turn pot-sized bet.

Get villain's money in the middle when he is an underdog should be your first consideration. If you don't win the hand, just spend your Sklansky bucks wisely.

If you play scared, you will never get real paid. One of the things you have to be able to do if you plan to eventually play $100, $200 and beyond is to not be afraid to risk your stack on a draw when you are the favorite to win. This also has the added bonus of giving bad players the impression that you like to gamboool it up
Old 12-15-2005, 01:13 PM

i bet $40 on the turn, he folded.

next time, i push the flop

thx
Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

thx

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it takes more guts to bet that turn than push on the flop.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thx

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling and leading turn is an advanced line to use on very capable and solid thinking players that has its merits at 400NL+. It looks like a set trying to price out a combo-draw. I wouldnt use it at these stakes, but its a good line to have in your aresenal in solid thinking games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-15-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thx

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling and leading turn is an advanced line to use on very capable and solid thinking players that has its merits at 400NL+. It looks like a set trying to price out a combo-draw. I wouldnt use it at these stakes, but its a good line to have in your aresenal in solid thinking games.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. What is your line if the river bricks? In a thinking game, I'm guessing a value bet bluff is all you need to try or just check/fold if you know villain is going to look you up.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thx

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. What is your line if the river bricks? In a thinking game, I'm guessing a value bet bluff is all you need to try or just check/fold if you know villain is going to look you up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the opponent, and I haven used this line very much so Im not sure. Im inclined to c/f most of the time though, but I doubt villain is gonna fire on the river when you check, as he would be scared of a c/r.

Do we want solid thinking villain to see our cards on river and know we use this line?
(IMO this line means either a set or a big draw, so I guess villain knowing this would still make it tough for him to play against it)