Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-12-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Recognizing good 2nd best hands...

[ QUOTE ]
i don't think a 40/10 is really raising JTs in second position. i could be wrong. but if you are going to consider it i think it should probably be discounted at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Discounted hugely.

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 3 i would 3-bet the flop, looks fine how you played it

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, I'm trying to train myself to think that getting 3 BB on a street while behind is the end of the world. I think this hand is a disaster.

Now there are times that it's unavoidable but this isn't one of those times. I don't know, maybe I'm being to hard on myself.

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 04:07 PM

I don't think putting in 3 bets on the turn against a better hand should be your main concern here. The reason 3betting the flop is better here, imo, is that a lot of times he will take a free card and you lose 1.5BB. You are way ahead of his range and should worry about maximizing value when ahead, not minimizing losses when behind.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

kneejerk reactions. no math, because im starting to realize instincts > math:

1. easy 3-bet on the turn
2. raise the river but its very close. youll see TPTK or aces up all the time. this type of player is very capable of overplaying
3. ok out of position. with position, its close to a cap. he is not that aggro. its strange to see a player like this play fast postflop though. 3-bet the flop and its not close. there are way too many scare cards that cost you bets. get the money in while you ahve the best of it

good "themed" post i think
Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hand 3 i would 3-bet the flop, looks fine how you played it

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, I'm trying to train myself to think that getting 3 BB on a street while behind is the end of the world. I think this hand is a disaster.

Now there are times that it's unavoidable but this isn't one of those times. I don't know, maybe I'm being to hard on myself.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

great post bro...i would be kicking myself into a frenetic tilt-rage after that hand as well [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"bet-call you stupid [censored], BET-CALL, NOT CHECK-RAISE [censored] [censored] [censored] are you NEVER GOING TO [censored] LEARN [censored] YOU YOU STUPID [censored]"

btw congrats on the first $100k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 04:11 PM

For #1 I'm guessing you think his flop action is significantly more consistant with a weakear K than it is with AK or AA?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
For #1 I'm guessing you think his flop action is significantly more consistant with a weakear K than it is with AK or AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

button flopped a straight and isnt likely to fold. string him along

maybe my instincts arent so good though. does kinda look like KQ no good and it would be a catastrophe if the button folded for 2 more
Old 12-12-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

btw congrats on the first $100k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't finished it yet. I think I need to become a student of the game once again so I changed my title as a reminder.

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

button flopped a straight and isnt likely to fold. string him along

maybe my instincts arent so good though. does kinda look like KQ no good and it would be a catastrophe if the button folded for 2 more

[/ QUOTE ]

Instincts were right on this one. It was the only hand of the three I won.

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 05:47 PM

I think you quit one raise too early in the first two and played a bit too fancy in the last.

The way you played it, I dont mind just calling down when he 3bets your check-raise as you have shown alot of strenght and you arenīt likely to get reraised by 2-pair given the scariness of the board.

Btw, you arenīt going to lose the "TAG" button very often as he will be drawing or have slowplayed the flop most of the time and probably wont fold for one more.

Iīd say MP has some king or JT mostly, but ofcourse AA/AK/KK/QQ sometimes aswell. Itīs just a bit weird to slowplay on a board this cordinated.

The second hand seem close as you lose 2 more when behind and just gain one alot of the time.
He is 2:1 to hold AJ/99 vs AA if you think he plays them the same. I think the first two should be discounted more, mostly based on preflop, however, he will sometimes overplay the river or show up with an unexpected hand like 77, A7 etc, which I think will turn this to a raise.