Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-11-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Tens Facing a Turn Raise

Party $2/4

Villian is aggressive but not a LAG.

10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG. I raise, folded to villian in the CO who 3-bets, all fold, I call.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, he bets, I checkraise, he calls.

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, villian raises. I...?

I usually c/c, c/c, bet in this situation but throw in a checkraise maybe 30% of the time.

Also, FWIW, the Party $2/4 game has gotten tougher since I last played there around 9 months ago. I ventured into S/H games late last winter and I wanted a break. 2/4 at Party was pretty soft back then but now I see a lot more pots raised PF and contested maybe 2 or 3 handed. Plus the post flop aggression factor is up.

There's still plenty of bad players to be sure but I was surprised by what I saw.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Tens Facing a Turn Raise

Seems like a standard call to me. I think you have adequate outs to continue here. I'd estimate around 5.5 outs, and therefore you're getting the immediate odds to call on.

Folding the river unimproved is best, in my opinion, since villain will very rarely have less than TT here.

I don't like the check-raise on the flop, and think you should simply check/call here. The check-raise trapped you into an uncomfortable turn decision. As you mentioned, I think check/call, check/call, bet/fold would've been a more appropriate line. Had a blank fallen on the turn, I think bet/folding the turn is superior.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:54 PM

Fold to the turn raise. You have 2 clean outs and no other draws.

You've shown plenty of aggression in this hand, and yet he still raises you on a big street. I find it hard to believe he's now raising you with something like AK that you beat.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:01 PM

He has a gutshot to the straight. That would give Hero 6 live outs to a winning hand (assuming villain does not have JJ or a flush draw), which he is getting correct odds to draw to.

Tack on the times when this is a semibluff raise (villain just picked up a flush draw or some such) and that makes it a pretty easy call. Although admittedly, you aren't going to see a lot of semibluff/bluff turn raises on 2/4.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:03 PM

Shoot. I missed the gutshot. So I'd say, peal the turn card and fold the river UI.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like a standard call to me. I think you have adequate outs to continue here. I'd estimate around 5.5 outs, and therefore you're getting the immediate odds to call on.

Folding the river unimproved is best, in my opinion, since villain will very rarely have less than TT here.

I don't like the check-raise on the flop, and think you should simply check/call here. The check-raise trapped you into an uncomfortable turn decision. As you mentioned, I think check/call, check/call, bet/fold would've been a more appropriate line. Had a blank fallen on the turn, I think bet/folding the turn is superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the definitive explanation / advice. Hate to see you have to give up on turn. For my 2cents, I think K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a very likely hand for villian and excellent hand for a semi-bluff.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the definitive explanation / advice. Hate to see you have to give up on turn. For my 2cents, I think K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a very likely hand for villian and excellent hand for a semi-bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a small point, but only notably aggro. players are going to be three-betting legit raises with KQ (suited or otherwise). Most players have tight three-betting ranges dominated by AK, AQ, and the big pairs.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:15 AM

Default Results

I called the turn (had visions of 3-betting and that was probably the implied question I was asking).

River paired the 3 for a board of J-9-7-3-3. I checked, villian bet, I called. He showed A-Q and MHIG. Of course I got the obligatory "fish" in the chatbox but whatever.

This hand would be routine shorthanded and having played 6-max for the past 8 months, I'm still in that mode. But as I mentioned in my original post, I think the full game has gotten tougher and sometimes S/H tactics come into play more than they used to.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely have some adjusting to do.