Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-09-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Passive Until River

sb is 64/4/.5 after 50 hands. MP is 51/32/1.3 after 40 hands. If MP overcalled turn I call river.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP folds.

River: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>
Old 12-09-2005, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Passive Until River

I like checking the flop.

You can fold (bad)
You can bet and MP will fold his terrible holdings (J5, whatever). If he calls or raises, you don't really get any information. He could do it with AA, which is crushing you, or something like JJ if he puts your donk on a 4 or 9. A raise will probably knock out sb, whereas sb is likely to call 1 with almost anything.

If you check, most of the time MP will bet your hand for you as a continuation bet, and SB should stay in (hopefully drawing slim).

I like your turn and river play.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:59 PM

Looks fine to me.

You could raise the turn to make it more expensive for MP when he has 2 diamonds, but you lose more that way when he was slowplaying the flop and you may also get SB to fold something hopeless that way.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:02 PM

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>You could raise the turn to make it more expensive for MP when he has 2 diamonds </pre><hr />

I think if MP has 2 diamonds there's a good chance he'll make it expensive for himself
Old 12-09-2005, 10:10 PM

this is exactly how i play it
Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 PM

Do you fold to a 3-bet?

What level of aggression would your opponent have to be to call a 3-bet (Call vs all but passive? Fold vs all but very aggressive? Where would you draw the line?)

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 12-10-2005, 12:11 AM

I only have 50 hands on this guy, he's played 64% of his hands, and I have underrepresented my hand up until the river. For these reasons I call, but a strong argument could definitely be made for folding. There's also image considerations, etc.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:00 AM

I don't like the river raise.

SB is 64/4/.5

I think a player like this is normally only betting an Ace or better on this turn. You are behind 7 aces and ahead of 4. Plus, some of those 4 can be counterfeited on the river for a split. If there weren't a 4 and a 2 on the board then you might be ahead of some non-Ace hands that the SB could be betting on this turn.

If you raise this river then you have a pretty easy fold to a 3-bet against a LP.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 AM

while I like this play, whenever I do it i end up kicking myself in the ass for not raising the turn. i'm sure this is partly results oriented, but I still raise the turn.