Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Re: river bet?

The more I think about it the more I like raising the flop. If SB reraises, having 2 other players to act after him really makes this juicier. They either call, so our deficit is not as large, or they fold, so our equity share is larger. It would be even better if we had strong enough reads on SB so we could fold the river UI.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't tell me your playing 5/10 without any reads. I think I would raise the flop because SB could be capping a little light here with say 99 or KQs/AJs, and you've got 3-donks in the pot calling away. That turn isn't any fun though.

[/ QUOTE ]

why can't i play 5/10 without reads? how do i get reads on people if i dont play?

i don't like raising the flop because i wont get anyone out, i just bloat the pot when i'm behind and i reopen the betting. also, SB is going to have me beat most of the time when he bets into 4 people on this flop
Old 12-04-2005, 04:11 AM

Our equity share is larger? Really? I'd be a pretty marginal increase. If SB 3bets us, we can be pretty sure we're drawing to 5 outs or fewer. If, hypothetically, one or two of those outs are tainted, we get an increase in equity of no more than 8%. If we knew we would be gaining that much in this huge pot, it'd be worth it, but I don't think our gain in equity will be worth 2 SB very often.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:15 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's worth it to get 3-bet, but we will gain SOME equity in this huge pot, which will hedge the cost. The flop raise itself should be for value.

in short: with 2 other players left to act behing SB, the cost of the risk of getting 3 bet is lower than it would be HU with SB.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't tell me your playing 5/10 without any reads. I think I would raise the flop because SB could be capping a little light here with say 99 or KQs/AJs, and you've got 3-donks in the pot calling away. That turn isn't any fun though.

[/ QUOTE ]

why can't i play 5/10 without reads? how do i get reads on people if i dont play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Partymine. It's worth it

[ QUOTE ]
i don't like raising the flop because i wont get anyone out i just bloat the pot when i'm behind

[/ QUOTE ]

So when you're ahead the money doesn't go in the pot? Seriously though, you're ahead more then your fair share. Protecting your hand is never going to happen. So it's just a value game at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
and i reopen the betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a legitimate concern, but I don't think it out ways the value you gain.

[ QUOTE ]
also, SB is going to have me beat most of the time when he bets into 4 people on this flop

[/ QUOTE ]

That’s true, but He’s not the only one in the pot.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:46 AM

I would not raise the flop like some have suggested. I would call to reevaluate on the turn. This turn is tough. You picked up a gutshot but are likely drawing to half of the pot. If we're behind a Q might not even be an out and of course our A outs are very dirty. I would check behind on this river.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:57 AM

havent read anything but I play it the same no way I bet river, I dont see anything calling you enough to make it +ev with the c\r factor in it id check through
Old 12-04-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a hard time finding value in a bet there. A crying check maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagreed until i saw PF action. I go with a check here as well.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:14 PM

Can I just say that I really dislike the "OMG NO READS PLZ DATAMINE" argument here?

One of the skills we need to develop as players is learning about people from scratch. To pretend like not using datamined stats is a mistake is just taking far to narrow a view of the game and how and why people are playing.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i don't like raising the flop because i wont get anyone out, i just bloat the pot when i'm behind and i reopen the betting. also, SB is going to have me beat most of the time when he bets into 4 people on this flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't let this go. One of my pet peeves is when people suggest they won't bet/raise out of fear that they are bloating the pot, thereby giving others better odds to chase. The fact is that people are often going to call with draws regardless of whether you get in an extra bet, so might as well bet for value anyway.