Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Collecting Vinyl

If you're ever in a foreign country look at weird random record stores. I was in Israel once and found "Abbey Road", "Velvet Underground & Nico" and tons of Who and Rolling Stones records for really cheap.
But if you're not heading cross the sea, I'm sure NYC has great stuff.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm going up to NYC again sometime soon, I'll look for the crazy homeless guy. What are his prices like?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope hes around in the winter, Im not sure of that actually since his merchandise has to be spilling out onto the street. When you do come to NYC PM me and Ill PM you back more precise directions to his little place.

His stuff is priced however much he feels like pricing it. Basically, its totally arbitrary and you can definately bargain.

I know another guy who sells uptown who has some good stuff too if you catch him on the right day. Again, let me know when youre coming and Ill give you all the info on the 2 crazy guys.

I have Tech 1200's and they have never let me down after 8+ years. They even made it through when I was in college and there were drunk morons running wild all around me. Every issue Ive had has been easily fixable. Sure there are newer tables fancier tables, but I love the originals.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:21 PM

By "soon" I didn't really mean in the next few weeks, it might not even be until summer...but yeah, I'll definitely have to look out for those guys. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:37 PM

Second for Gemm. Its good for older or hard to find stuff. For new stuff Satellite on Bowery in NYC is good.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:46 PM

What a coincidence. I just blogged about vinyl.

I think others have probably mentioned that direct drive turntables are better. I don't have one, but if I were really into it I'd invest in one. Technics used to make excellent turntables, but who knows if there's some new brand that blows them away.

It's amazing how much different the same music can sound through the same speakers, same amp, but from an LP on one hand, and a CD on the other. I prefer the vinyl. I expect it has something to do with the audio range.

I'll go back to listening to The Buggles now.

~D
Old 12-01-2005, 11:53 PM

Um...Ok, is there like, an entry-level direct drive turntable that I can get without blowing $500. I'd eventually move to the good Technics one or whatever. Or should I just stick with the (I assume) belt-driven player I have now and just wait a month or two for the Technics one. I'm gonna assume wait since I'm gonna guess there's no $50 - $100 direct drive turntable that's worth the money.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:55 PM

Thrift stores are awesome for sitting around and digging through a bunch of vinyl.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:51 AM

I'd actually say to use your turntable until you wear it out, or have a good reason to change it up. My turntable is garbage, but for what I need it's fine. If it ever breaks, direct drive here I come.

If you're not DJing you can probably go 20 years without your current turntable breaking.

~D
Old 12-02-2005, 01:19 AM

Yeah, actually, that's what I'll end up doing since I just looked it up and the one my parents have is direct drive anyway (an Onkyo CP-1046F). All I need to do is replace the needle, and I'm sure that'll be easy enough. Oh, what's that thing you put down between the LP and the actualy player, the one that's soft, fuzzy, and I assume stops the vinyl from getting scratched. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, what's that thing you put down between the LP and the actualy player, the one that's soft, fuzzy, and I assume stops the vinyl from getting scratched. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is called a slipmat.