Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Advice on AQ

Live 4/8
I'm in a middle position, one limper to me, I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], next to act calls, the button calls, small blind calls, big blind three bets, everyone calls three, six people to the flop:
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
small blind checks, big blind bets, next to act folds, i call, button calls, three people see the turn:
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
big blind checks, i bet, button folds, big blind calls. Heads up to the river:
6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check, I bet, he raises? What is my play here.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Advice on AQ

BB three bet pre-flop so I don't think he's got three 6's. Could be slowplaying AA,JJ,88, AJ or maybe quad 66. FWIW IMO there's enough doubt and the pot's laying you enough to look him up.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:31 PM

Call. I'm kind of sucker for paying people off when that take wierd lines like this. Seriously though, the pot is large and I think there is enough of a chance this guy is doing this crap with a) another AQ or b) KK/QQ that calling is worthwhile.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:21 PM

Of course its easy to give advise after the hand. However, before deciding what to do with his check raise to you, the question may be, why did you bet? This hand spells trouble because there has been a decent amount of action the the BB been part of it. At the end of the day, you have only 1 pair (not including the 6's). I play alot of 4/8 and I know plenty of players that would 3 bet pre-flop with pocket 6's. In my opinion, it was a blessing when he checked to you. This falls under the catagory, "he would only call you (or raise) with a better hand. As for what to do now, I say you have to call one more bet. This reminds me of the saying, "a good play can set a trap, but a great player can smell one." His play smells fishy to me.
Regards,
miketomK82
Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course its easy to give advise after the hand. However, before deciding what to do with his check raise to you, the question may be, why did you bet? This hand spells trouble because there has been a decent amount of action the the BB been part of it. At the end of the day, you have only 1 pair (not including the 6's). I play alot of 4/8 and I know plenty of players that would 3 bet pre-flop with pocket 6's. In my opinion, it was a blessing when he checked to you. This falls under the catagory, "he would only call you (or raise) with a better hand. As for what to do now, I say you have to call one more bet. This reminds me of the saying, "a good play can set a trap, but a great player can smell one." His play smells fishy to me.
Regards,
miketomK82

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. This is a very obvious value bet. Hands like 99, TT, QQ, KK and even sometimes a worse A or even worse pocket pair is probably going to call a river bet.

Failing to bet this river is a big, big, big mistake. Winning low limit hold'em is all about sacking up and value-betting.

I call the river basically because my opponent clearly played his hand in a weird, irrational way which, if he had a good hand, obviously risked costing himself tons and tons of money if his plan backfired. The confusion and the pot size are enough to make me look him up. I think we'll see a desperation bluff with QQ here often enough to make it worthwhile, and seeing his hand will do wonders for playing against him in the future.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:36 PM

I guess I don't understand the flop call.

You have a backdoor flush: 1.5 outs.
You have two overcards, I'd say worth 1.5 outs per overcard.

That's 4.5 outs. Is that enough to call?

EDIT: I didn't see the straight, but that's still only about 1.5 outs more, for 6 total...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM

FWIW backdoor straight draw as well. 6 people to a 3bet flop is giving 1:19? I think on the flop after the BB bets.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I don't understand the flop call.

You have a backdoor flush: 1.5 outs.
You have two overcards, I'd say worth 1.5 outs per overcard.

That's 4.5 outs. Is that enough to call?

EDIT: I didn't see the straight, but that's still only about 1.5 outs more, for 6 total...

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind. I didn't count the pot correctly.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM

You're seriously considering folding with at least like 4 outs or so getting 19-1?

...Tight...Weak...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW backdoor straight draw as well. 6 people to a 3bet flop is giving 1:19? I think on the flop after the BB bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is what you get for trying to "work" and read this board at the same time...