Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 11-29-2005, 08:47 PM

Default I Find It Hard Not To Raise Donk Turn Bets

Last one then I'll try to reply to a ton of threads. Thanks for putting up with me.

Villain is a 35/5/1.7. Given the presence of the club draw is the turn an auto-raise? It usually is for me but I'm thinking there's no value raise here. Correct me please.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB
Old 11-29-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: I Find It Hard Not To Raise Donk Turn Bets

I would raise every time.

(1) Top 2 pair is g00d hand, (2) Villian could have bet flop with an A or a flush draw (or both) and donk-bet when the ace hit, (3) villian could just be an idiot.

Im thinking more along the lines of #2.

EDIT: by raise I mean raise the turn. The rest of the hand should play itself easier.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would raise every time.

(1) Top 2 pair is g00d hand, (2) Villian could have bet flop with an A or a flush draw (or both) and donk-bet when the ace hit, (3) villian could just be an idiot.

I agree.
Im thinking more along the lines of #2.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 PM

I'd raise the turn and see what his response is.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:09 PM

I didnt think that BB was betting the flop with trip 4's. I considered a pocket pair more liklely.

However, the stop n go on the turn looks suspicious, and I dont think that BB would be betting the turn with a flush draw.

Nonetheless, with the possibility that you have the best hand and your outs to fill up to a boat, I think your turn call was correct.

I just dont see a turn raise being good value here, in case the BB does have trips.

Finally, despite the flush card appearing on the river, I would have found it difficult not to call with your top 2 pair. Your opponent could easily have decided to represent the flush if he only had a pocket pair.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 PM

I would raise this turn.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 PM

I generally raise the turn in this situation on auto-pilot.

I wouldn't put him on trip 4s because if he's slick enough to try to slowplay them, he's probably slick enough to check raise you on the turn considering you raised the flop and would probably bet the turn.

I would have no clue why he donk bet, but I would raise anyway and let him tell me I'm in trouble with a re-raise.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 PM

Cool. I'll look for other places to lower my 4.3 turn aggression factor and keep raising top2 on paired draw heavy boards [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 09:21 PM

Raising the turn is fine here. So is calling.

This is one of those spots where I don't really think it matters that much either way. For every time you run into an ace and squeeze an extra BB out of him, you find that you've lost a little something somewhere else (perhaps he folds because he was bluffing, perhaps he called your raise with a 4 and you're stuck paying him off -- which is a bit more expensive when it happens).

I don't think there's much wrong with either line. Go with whatever read you have and your instincts. If he's going to bet both big streets, I don't mind letting him.

These little heads up spots change your overall EV only a little bit. Most of your money is made in those 4-6 handed pots where you flop a monster hand or a monster draw and get everyone to put 2-3 bets in the pot on the flop and turn (if your monster draw comes in early).
Old 11-29-2005, 09:26 PM

Hey, I don't know if I'm right. That's just the way I play it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]