Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: WTF?!?!?!?!?! Spector and T.O.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Specter can't die fast enough...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Senator is way off base with this one, and I don't agree with him all that often, but your comment is disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was kidding, niss. Calm down.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he should sit out the rest of the session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better yet he should resign.

[ QUOTE ]
Whether this or steroids or anyother headline-worthy issue is against the law, the Senate is in the business of passing laws, not enforcing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really believe this? I suppose if you are extremely literal, the Senate doesn't enfoce laws at gunpoint, but it does have very serious and important oversight responsibilities. I think the point is that what happens to T.O. is not relevant to the important business before the Senate. But the Senate spends far too little time these days performing oversight IMHO.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:11 AM

Seems since we have lost the war on drugs that the senate is going to fight it where the have no bussiness. This TO thing ans Spector is ridiculous.

I got one for the Senate to look into how bout protercting our borders.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you really believe this? I suppose if you are extremely literal, the Senate doesn't enfoce laws at gunpoint, but it does have very serious and important oversight responsibilities. I think the point is that what happens to T.O. is not relevant to the important business before the Senate. But the Senate spends far too little time these days performing oversight IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really believe that the Senate should do useful work. High profile, low-content issues like T.O.'s labor dispute, steroids in baseball, violence in video games, etc., etc., serve only to provide a national media stage for the pompous airbags of the Senate to pontificate about how important they are. It is the Senators who testify at those hearings, not the witnesses. They do not ask questions, they give campaign speeches.

As an aside, there is equal guilt on both sides of the aisle, but few things are more disgusting than watching Teddy Kennedy try to take the moral high ground on any issue. It's like watching Jabba the Hutt preaching about moderation and civility.

That said, the Senate has appropriate oversight responsibilities. If a particular law or policy enacted by the Congress is not working or not being enforced, the Senate should determine why and, if appropriate, act to rectify the situation. A law may have to be strengthened, enforcement officials may needed more resources, etc.

But the Senate has no business micro-managing selective enforcement issues like T.O.'s labor contract. It's all show and no content.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really believe that the Senate should do useful work. High profile, low-content issues like T.O.'s labor dispute, steroids in baseball, violence in video games, etc., etc., serve only to provide a national media stage for the pompous airbags of the Senate to pontificate about how important they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. I think Speaker Hastert apparently thinks being a windbag about veritable nonsense issues is rightfully a duty that belongs in the House.