Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:56 PM

Default So I\'ve got these ladies sitting in my lap...

The villain here has been aggressive post flop (64 hands, V$IP: 37, PFR: 13), but not out of line. My impression comes not from the stats, but from the tendency he's shown to make plays if he is at all suspicious of the opposition. In this orbit, I'd been very active, muscling him out of a pot when I thought he was pwning limpers from LP (based on chat he had some idea I was doing this, but didn't have the cards to call), and stealing a couple others.

My point is that I thought the initial re-raise was him getting cute, and I wanted him to know that I was serious about the hand. Then he pushes. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Does anyone at this level have stones that big without rockets to back it up?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 ($45.30)
CO ($26.15)
Hero ($29.50)
SB ($10.10)
BB ($15.95)
UTG ($28.45)
UTG+1 ($35.20)
MP1 ($34.30)
MP2 ($25.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $48.05</font>

Hero?
Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: So I\'ve got these ladies sitting in my lap...

I don't see the point of your reraise. You are out of position, and the money in the pot is not really enough to justify wanting to "take it down" preflop. Also, I don't like making a 3rd raise with a hand that usually can't call a 4th raise, but would love to see a flop and stack someone. I would call and play some poker. This opponent seems susceptible to getting stacked with TPTK or overpairs.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:50 AM

I agree with Isura. You stand to make much more when you're ahead (and lose much less when you're behind) if you let him take the initiative in the hand (as in, just call his reraise).

When you flop a set, you're probably going to double up off of him. If your queens are an overpair to the board, you may well take down a big pot as well (but should play more conservatively, as AA/KK/set are possible)

It looks like he wants to try and outplay you in a pot, so let him try and do that when you have the best hand. You'll win his money more often than not.

Now, given the way the hand actually played out... this is a very difficult decision. I'd fold it and wait for better situations to get all-in. He might be putting the moves on you with a hand you beat, but 4-betting with air is hard for even the loosest and most aggressive villains to do.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:57 AM

I agree that four-betting was the wrong choice, but what line do you take when the flop comes all undercards? I guess my question is how do I not get stacked by AA?
Old 11-28-2005, 10:08 AM

I have pulled this play before on someone who was trying to play back at me with only AKs in hand. The fact is at these levels most people can only reraise with AA or KK. I might have to do it more often if I can get people to fold QQ preflop.

In your situation I think if you wanted to do it right you should have reraised for $12 or so which shows you are serious about your hand. His PFR is only 13 which I wouldn't find that high over that number of hands. If he pushes over the 12 then you are probably beat and can lay it down... the way it is played I would think you have to fold here.

If you just call the reraise you end up playing weak tight and playing as if you have pocket 6's. Try to keep pot size small unless you hit your set.... that is the only way I see you not getting stacked here.

Guin