Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 06:10 PM

Default NFL running backs

How valuable are they? Who is the best starting running back and who is the worst? It seems like lately the gap has become smaller and smaller. Is there a team in the league that would say they have serious problems at the running back position?

The broncos are an obvious example of the fact that a teams offensive line is more important the the guy running behind it. The chiefs are another. One "great" RB goes down, and another comes in and has very similar success. It makes you wonder what it was that made the first RB so "great" in the first place.

Sure there are a few exceptions, and there seems to be a common theme among the exceptions. They are the running backs who are also great recievers. LT, Edge, Faulk in his prime, etc. But other than these exceptions, the difference between the best and worst running backs is very minimal. If you put any on of them in a given play, considering the quality of blocking they get and how good the defense is, the results are all going to be very close to the same. Add in the fact that running backs are so often injured, and you have even more reason not to shell out top dollar for a premier back. Especially if theres a good chance the only reason they became known as a "premier back" in the first place is due to their offensive line and the system they played in.

I know none of this is anything new. But my conclusion is one that I'm sure not many will agree with. My conclusion is that reggie bush should not be the first overall pick. I am as big of a fan of him as anyone. But his value relative to other players at his position is simply not as big as as Top QB such as lienhart. There are tons of teams with problems at quarterback (Browns, Lions, Bears), as well as other positions, but like I said before, I cant think of one team that would say their lack of a premier running back is their biggest problem.

Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: NFL running backs

LT
Shawn Alexander
Edge

all easily the MVP of their respective teams .. players like that can make an average QB look better than they are(obv not the case with Peyton, but Brees/Hasselbeck aren't nearly as productive with an ave rb)

Bush will be in that class of gamebreaking RB's, not the generic 1100yd/yr rb

Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am as big of a fan of him as anyone. But his value relative to other players at his position is simply not as big as as Top QB such as lienhart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if you could be sure that leinert was going to go on to be a hall of fame QB, then sure you would take him. But these QB's are hit or miss. Bush is much more likely to be a sure thing. And he is likely to be special, not just a good back.

Also there is a difference between running backs running ability, its just that line play is so crucial that it is impossible to just look at stats to make determinations. In determining who is the better and who is worse it is important to look at the film and see who is breaking tackles, who can gain yards with 8 men in the box, who is able to see the entire field and adjust to where the whole is (robert smith was amazing at this), and who has the speed to run away from defenders. Nevermind that LT can catch the ball, he also does all these other things.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In determining who is the better and who is worse it is important to look at the film and see who is breaking tackles, who can gain yards with 8 men in the box, who is able to see the entire field and adjust to where the whole is (robert smith was amazing at this), and who has the speed to run away from defenders

[/ QUOTE ]

What starting RB doesnt do those things? I loved robert smith but I dont think he was ever considered an elite running back. Does Jamal lewis fit your description? Stephen Davis? Tatum Bell? Thomas Jones? Samkon Gado?

I think Clinton Portis is a great example. When he played for Denver he was pretty widely considered a top RB. Now that he plays for the Skins he has definately moved down a tier or two.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How valuable are they? Who is the best starting running back and who is the worst? It seems like lately the gap has become smaller and smaller. Is there a team in the league that would say they have serious problems at the running back position?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very. Ladanian. JJ Arrington. If you don't have one of the top few, yes, the gap is small. Arizona.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:36 PM

I don't buy your argument. It could go for a lot of positions. If the RB that you have is head and shoulders above everyone else's then it makes a huge difference. If any player on your team would make the opposing offensive/defensive coordinator modify their gameplan away from your other players to contain that player then there is top dollar value. This could be anyone maybe not a guard or safety because they would be drafted for a different position but a tackle (offensive or defensive) a corner, a receiver, linebacker, any position - it is irrelevant. The only thing that should matter is if that guy is likely to be that much of a difference maker. The only other option is to pick a top QB and hope it works out, or get what you can for the pick and save the cap space for a later year.

I don't know if Reggie Bush is that guy or not... He could be the next Gale Sayers, or he could be the next Charlie White. I am not convinced on him until I see him in the NFL, but I really only see highlights of college football so I am not qualified to have any opinion on Bush except for what I read in the newspaper.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LT
Shawn Alexander
Edge

[/ QUOTE ]

Alexander is not the second best running back in the NFL. He should be ranked something like 7th to 12th. If he leaves Seattle in the offseason, it will be plainly obvious next year that he was made to look a lot better by the Seattle o-line.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not convinced on him until I see him in the NFL, but I really only see highlights of college football so I am not qualified to have any opinion on Bush except for what I read in the newspaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no. The standard play for any sports fan is to make sweeping pronouncements regardless of expertise.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alexander is not the second best running back in the NFL. He should be ranked something like 7th to 12th.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever watched football?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alexander is not the second best running back in the NFL. He should be ranked something like 7th to 12th.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever watched football?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And, I actually pay attention to the guys who aren't carrying the football sometimes.

Shaun Alexander is like Clinton Portis. He looks much better than he actually is due to an awesome offensive line. A few years ago, everybody thought Portis was at least a top 3 NFL running back. Very few consider him even in the top 10 now.

There's a good chance Alexander will be playing elsewhere next season. He will be exposed then.