Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-25-2005, 11:38 PM

Default 5/10 :: Stud/8 :: Rolled Up 4s

A very good game. Seat 7 and 2 are very LAG on the later streets. There was also a few 3rd and 4th st. action junkies which influenced my decision to slowplay (not my usual line). I wondered if you think I missed a few bets, I have a FPS, or if I played it ok.

I nutted up on 6th/7th because I would think my board indicated a strong low and he didn't seem to give a [censored].

7 Card Stud High-Low ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes

4th Street - (5.10 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (4.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls

6th Street - (16.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds

River - (18.05 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (20.05 BB)
Old 11-26-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: 5/10 :: Stud/8 :: Rolled Up 4s

I like completing on third and raising 4th. With one caller already in, you will likely get some action here (on 3d), and completing with a 4 up looks natural (limping may, too, but the complete wont set off too many alarm bells).

On fourth, raising is good since you have so much equity. Why not tie these two low draws to their hands more, especially killing almost every low straight?

The action on fifth is really f'in uncool for you. You could have 2 board locked for low (though you have been passive) and he raises right into you with the case 4, which makes all those straights you almost have killed possible for him. Three betting here is kind of meh, since seat 7 folding has to be bad (I think, it sure does not look like he is taking any appreciable equity from you). When 2 caps, I would feel pretty sick. You are getting ~2.5:1 on calling down (a bit more if 7 comes along), and with high and some low potential, well, I guess you have to pay off, but get ready to feel anally violated.

As a side note, the only time I slow play rolled up hands is when I think I will get zero action if I complete, like it is folded to me, the bring in is likely to muck, and anyone is between us they have some crappy dead high card. These hands are best played fast IMO.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:29 AM

The thing I like about rolled up 4's is that they can masquerade as a low hand. My play on 3rd street would depend on my table image, but would probably at least complete.

I would raise 4th street when the 6h hits, and continue pumping on 5th with the 2s. Seat 2's actions on 5th street indicate (because of your board) that he has made some kind of high hand, so his actions and yours combine well to get seat 7 out. Whether or not it's a good idea to pressure seat 7 depends on your read of seat 2: if seat 2 has a straight, he also has a low, so you might consider letting seat 7 stay for the ride. But if seat 2 bets 2 pair the same way, I would go ahead and jam.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:06 AM

I don't see the point of slow-playing 3rd street. Any low hand is going to be willing to build the pot with you, and you may get reraised by someone with a high hand mistaking you for a low hand. It seems if you're going to be able to get action at all, you get more by raising 3rd instead of calling.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:24 AM

YOu missed tons of bets here. Def reraise on third when it is completed back to you and raising fourth is a must.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like completing on third and raising 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more about 3rd and 4th in retrospect. My thought at the time was that I had been playing pretty tight and maybe a little passive and if I started jamming early I'd probably kill the action.

I decided to get busy on a big bet st. and it made me a little queesy. I rarely slowplayed rolled up hands but with rolled up babies the deception factor is so high I thought I'd gamble. FPS I guess.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:06 AM

Terrible.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:35 PM

With small rolled-up trips, I try to mimic a strong low where possible. On third street, I would usually limp and then raise when it came back to me. This is something that I do with strong lows all the time. In a very loose game, I would just make it a full bet on the first pass.

I like a raise on fourth as well. I'm guessing that 3T isn't going to call anyway. Raising looks natural, and people won't know whether you're on a low, a flush, or something else.

I would three-bet on fifth without thinking, but when 874 caps it, it sure looks like you're behind. You have a very strong low board, and he doesn't seem to care, so I doubt that he has just a low. Perhaps he has a set, in which case you're in trouble. I think his most likely hand is a straight. In the heat of battle, I would probably raise at least once on sixth, but given the chance to think about it, I think you did well to just call. Hope he had two pair.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unicorns?