Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 12:32 AM

Default reverse poker?

i think this would be interesting...if it went 1 card, 1 card, 3 cards (i dont know about the size of the bets changing or not, decide for yourself). would this be:
1. interesting?
2. more or less profitable (in your opinion)?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: reverse poker?

I think we played this in Vegas but by that point in the night I don't remember anything. In general, it would have people sticking around for the "river" more often, and would be less profitable. Handreading would be more difficult IMO.

Rob
Old 11-22-2005, 01:07 AM

1. Interesting in the way learning a new game is interesting, like Stud/8 or 27TD for example.
2. ?? Than what? Regular holdem? I guess that depends on if you can find a game or not, if youre any good, if your opponents are bad, along with all the other variables which affect win rates.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:20 AM

It will be harder to fold your unimproved hands, because you won't know if your hand is worth it until the river! Also, you can't chase people off of draws or charge their draws on the "flop", because there won't be any draws until the turn. Set trapping/whoring will be harder, since you will flop trips 1/3 of the time that you normally do. WAY less profitable!

Of course, I am only thinking in terms of NL holdem, but limit is probably not much different.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:41 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

it would be very similar to stud on 3rd and 4th streets. there would be a lot more jamming on the turn like in O/8 where there are stronger draws (but instead of more outs, there are more river cards). im sure pocket pairs can become monsters, since if you flop a set you have huge equity against a bunch of runner runner draws. I guess in general the game would be very similar to holdem in the first 2 cards.

sounds kind of like an interesting game, with a little stud, O8 and holdem involved. id imagine youd have a big edge, for the same reason you have one in O8. while it would seem that having less of an edge in your big hands would be a problem, but it's not. people would chase everything to the river, which is big money when you flop a set
Old 11-22-2005, 01:45 AM

My sooted cards can still flop a flush!

This reminds me of a similiar form of Hold Em I heard about I believe called Manilla.

It has 1 more round of betting than regular hold em.

Basicalyl everyone gets their hole cards and then the first community card is placed on the board, then betting, then another card, then betting, etc. until all 5 are on the board.

Obviously good preflop starting hands are much better in this game as you get an "extra" card before putting any money in. The pre-betting nuts would be AA with an A on the board *drool*
Old 11-22-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im sure pocket pairs can become monsters, since if you flop a set you have huge equity against a bunch of runner runner draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flopping a set would be a 1 in 23 shot. I think two big cards would be better than a medium pair, and AA would be incredibly strong, because you beat any non-pair starter until at least the turn. I think the game would probably be really boring. How about bizarro hold'em with one card to start and one community card (up to five total) at a time? I think that would possibly be the worst poker game around.