Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 AM

Default party 30/60 hand I\'m not happy with

UTG and mid-pos unknowns limp. I have never seen them before, so they are not regulars and probably stink at poker. I limp in late position with QJo. Both blinds come along.
Flop J73 rainbow. sb checks, bb bets, utg calls, mid pos folds, I raise, sb folds, bb calls, utg calls.
Turn Ac putting 2 clubs on board. BB bets, utg calls, I call?
River 9. bb bets, utg calls, I call?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: party 30/60 hand I\'m not happy with

why not call the flop and raise a non-overcard turn?

the way you played it who not fold the turn?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:44 AM

If the blinds are tight I like to raise preflop. Postflop is tough, I like stox's comments.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:48 PM

I like the flop raise for value and because it helps define your hand and makes it an easier fold if an ace pops up on the turn and it goes bet-call. Also, i'm sure you know what you're doing preflop, but i have hard time imagining you give up much (if anything) by mucking this preflop. Given that you made to the flop, i raise the flop as you did and muck the turn, you can see aces up here a lot, and if you have outs they are not all usually clean. When it goes bet/call, they both have worse hands almost never, even with the 2 clubs coming up.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:06 PM

I called on the turn because I thought it would really be tough for the bb to fire another barrel on the river into 2 guys without having me beat. I actually folded the river, but would have won the hand. I'm really not sure how to play this one.
Preflop is obviously a small winner at best. I thought the limpers were not good players, so I thought I could turn a profit.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 PM

Two things here.

First, I've seen a lot of opponents try to represent an ace in this situation, when in fact their bet usually signifies a drawing hand, and they think maybe you laydown to the A.

It's rare, and, I've seen it a lot mostly because of my stubborn call downs in this same spot.

Against unknowns, I'd call down here.

Against a player who has a clue, I seriously doubt he fires into 2 opponents here without TP.

I like a call down.

Tex
Old 11-21-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called on the turn because I thought it would really be tough for the bb to fire another barrel on the river into 2 guys without having me beat. I actually folded the river, but would have won the hand. I'm really not sure how to play this one.
Preflop is obviously a small winner at best. I thought the limpers were not good players, so I thought I could turn a profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to fold a lot of winners. Or maybe those are just the hands you write about.
But it is hard to overcall the river.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:44 PM

Are you playing preflop because you think your hand is best? Because you think can make up for whatever deficit you have in hand strength through implied odds? Or because you feel that your opponents likely horrible post flop play makes up for the disparate nature in your hand strength?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you playing preflop because you think your hand is best? Because you think can make up for whatever deficit you have in hand strength through implied odds? Or because you feel that your opponents likely horrible post flop play makes up for the disparate nature in your hand strength?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually play a bit lower, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but...is QJo really such a terrible hand in late position? I can see ditching it up front, but should we really be throwing this away for one bet, in late position, in anything but the most aggressive games?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some combination of these.