Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-21-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Borgata Trip Report

Last night I decided to go to AC. On the way there I was deciding between the House of Blues and the Borg. I havent been in a B+M since Vegas last winter.

The action was pretty good, but it seems like the Borg has more college age kids with some grasp of the game. The average table makeup while I was there was one or two LAGs, 4 or 5 TAGs including two dealers, one complete degenerate gambler and a few weak tight types.

Here are some hands I played (details are foggy)

KK in the BB, people make it 12, I make it 30. Flop comes low cards, I make it 25, LAG calls. Turn in an A, I check LAG makes it 50 and I muck. He turned over a flopped straight. The turn ace kept me from getting stacked.

Next hand, I get JJ in the SB. Everyone puts in 6, I bump it to 20 or 25 and a different LAG calls. Flop has an A, but I bet 15. Turn is a rag and I put him on a baby ace and I want to push him off of it so I bet 30, he calls. River is another rag, I check, he bets 20 and I muck. The table thinks I'm crazy for folding 20 into a 130 pot, but I think I'm beat. Also, the 20 seemed like he was value betting a good hand.

Last hand I am there, I am UTG+1 with JTo and fold...Everyone limps and the flop comes TT7 two spades. The table had been raising over half the hands, but it was getting more limp-tacular towards the end. I thought I was saving 2 bucks, plus more if I'm against QT or QJ etc. I usually get last hand syndrome and overplay marginal holdings, but it looks like I played this one too tight and missed out on some cash.

One hand I saw, a LAG open raises to 50, which was way out of line at the table. A dealer calls and the flop is something like 3 4 7 check check, turn is a 7 check check river is a 2 check all in call. Dealer turns over 22 for the boat. WAHHHHH? That was awesome.

In conclusion, I think I recieved below average cards. I was there for 4.5 hours and I flopped one set after calling a 10 dollar bet, no trips, no straight and no flush. I got big slick once, which paid off a little, AQ once and not too much else. I don't think I'm good enough to play garbage like the LAGs do.

I finished with 317, but -2 for the PA turnpike, 5 for the ACE, 5 for parking and 3 for the Walt Whitman Bridge. Looks like I have 2 bucks left for gas, too bad it cost around 15. The last hand and the 30 dollar turn bet kept me from coming out truly ahead.

Edit: there werent 4 or 5 TAGs, it was more like 2 or 3 TAGs with some passive callers.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:20 PM

Default AC question

Thanks for the trip report.

I will be in S. Jersey for the holiday, and am thinking about heading down tonight or tomorrow for some play. The Borgata would be my first choice (6/12) but I wouldn't mind trying another room, either.

Does anyone have a good read on whether the pink chip game be running at the Trop on a Monday or Tuesday night? I would like to try that out sometime, and no time like the present.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Borgata Trip Report

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I decided to go to AC. On the way there I was deciding between the House of Blues and the Borg. I havent been in a B+M since Vegas last winter.

The action was pretty good, but it seems like the Borg has more college age kids with some grasp of the game. The average table makeup while I was there was one or two LAGs, 4 or 5 TAGs including two dealers, one complete degenerate gambler and a few weak tight types.

Here are some hands I played (details are foggy)

KK in the BB, people make it 12, I make it 30. Flop comes low cards, I make it 25, LAG calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ewww. How much was in the pot?

[ QUOTE ]
Next hand, I get JJ in the SB. Everyone puts in 6, I bump it to 20 or 25 and a different LAG calls. Flop has an A, but I bet 15. Turn is a rag and I put him on a baby ace and I want to push him off of it so I bet 30, he calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww! So there is over $100 in the pot, and you bet $30 to push him off his top pair?

[ QUOTE ]
Last hand I am there, I am UTG+1 with JTo and fold...Everyone limps and the flop comes TT7 two spades. The table had been raising over half the hands, but it was getting more limp-tacular towards the end. I thought I was saving 2 bucks, plus more if I'm against QT or QJ etc. I usually get last hand syndrome and overplay marginal holdings, but it looks like I played this one too tight and missed out on some cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can limp and maybe fold to the right raise or raises. In a 1/2 NL game with lots of hands going to the flop multi way for not much money, a player can have success with this, assuming you can get away from your hand when you are behind. But your results-oriented thinking will get you into big trouble. There are many good players who would've folded that hand in your spot preflop, and most of them would care less about the fact that the flop was TTx. Besides, with that flop, you are going to lose a big pot often enough to maybe not make up for the fact that you will win some small pots.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:51 PM

I am pretty weak post flop. I have a hard time putting in 50+ without at least 2 pair. Maybe i'll stick to .05-.10 NL online.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am pretty weak post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fix it or stay home. No, wait, tell me where you'll be so I can take your money.

Seriously, though, post-flop play this weak is a great way to lose money. Don't think of your bet as an absolute amount of money. You have to think in relation to the pot. If you're betting a third or a quarter of the pot, all you're doing is inviting people along to outdraw you and take your money.

And don't play with money you're not comfortable losing. You're going to have to put money in the pot, and sometimes it's not going to come back to you. If people can tell you're not happy about having to bet, or having to bet so much, they'll come after you.