Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-20-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Sometimes my second monitor doesn\'t come on when I boot up.

9 times out of 10, when turn my computer on, both monitors come up no problem. Every once in a while the 2nd monitor doesn't come up. When this happens I just reboot and that solves it, but its frustrating and annoying.
Both monitors are 2001fp, and they are on seperate cards, one an ATI and the other a NVDIA. I have checked the video card, and it is seated properly. Any Ideas?
Old 11-20-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Sometimes my second monitor doesn\'t come on when I boot up.

I'm not sure why it would happen but this post made me think - that I keep my computer(s) on 24/7/365 unless there is a reason to turn them off.
doesn't everybody do that?

I heard a long time ago that it was a good thing to do because computer hardware is put under the most stress when it is powered up so I have always kept them on and this greatly reduces the amount of boot-up issues.

Per your question though, if it is 9 times out of 10 that it works? don't worry about it, attempting to fix it will probably cause some other minor problem.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Sometimes my second monitor doesn\'t come on when I boot up.

power cycle once per day and it's fine. Constantly turning them on and off is what stresses them.

OP: well, if it starts up normally on one monitor I'd say that something in the BIOS is set incorrectly or that the card for the intermittent monitor is starting to fail. gl figuring it out.