Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Being an \"F*$%! IDIOT\" with 87s

So this one was pretty hilarious. Villain in the hand was so angry after the hand that an orbit later he was still shouting expletives at me. The nice bonus was that he proceeded to try to take really aggressive shots at me (including bluff-three-betting the river against my two pair) for the next 20 minutes and hence spewed about 8 BB of tilt into the Deranged coffers.

I'm interested in every street (except the river, which is easy). People are encouraged to discuss pre-flop if you desire.

Villain ("Demented") in the given hand was an interesting loose-aggresive pre-flop, passive/neutral but sometimes tricky post-flop (like 28/14/1). As demonstrated here, he liked to do odd passive things like check-raise one street and then check-call (or, in at least one case, check-fold) the next.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Deranged is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Demented raises</font>, Deranged calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (11.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Demented bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged raises</font>, Button folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Demented calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Demented checks, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Demented raises</font>, Deranged calls.

River: (11.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Demented checks, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged bets</font>, Demented calls.

Final Pot: 13.70 BB
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Being an \"F*$%! IDIOT\" with 87s

I usually fold PF, but otherwise nice hand. People hate losing with TPTK to backdoor straights.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 PM

I fold preflop. If I raise the flop, I'm checking the turn because he is tricky and you have to call the checkraise. I think you could consider just calling the flop.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:19 PM

Demented obviously had at least one Ace and as it appears you hit runner-runner to beat him. Perhaps hitting your side card woulnd't have been enough as he may have had a set. Anyway I take the free card on the turn.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:20 PM

Flop and turn look pretty standard, and you've already mentioned the river.

Pre-flop, you obviously thought you play better than this table well enough to warrant a CC with plenty still behind you to act. Is this call a run-of-the-mill one for you?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold preflop. If I raise the flop, I'm checking the turn because he is tricky and you have to call the checkraise. I think you could consider just calling the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the really interesting question comes down to weighing the value of getting a hand like TT or KQ to fold on this turn versus the value lost if we get check-raised. The fact that against the vast majority of hands we are losing to we have 9 outs makes me feel more comfortable with the turn bet.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:22 PM

I don't get preflop. Do you do this a lot?

The rest looks good.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop and turn look pretty standard, and you've already mentioned the river.

Pre-flop, you obviously thought you play better than this table well enough to warrant a CC with plenty still behind you to act. Is this call a run-of-the-mill one for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

This call is hardly run of the mill for me. But there was another loosish guy behind me, no one two aggro, and I figured that the EP poster and the limpers are never folding here. So I figured this hand would usually go 5-6 handed, and so I decided I'd gamble a little.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like calling the flop. I think getting it heads up is quite important, especially before we've determined the PFR definitely has an A. Raising this flop is best if we plan to continue in the hand, and the pot is big enough to continue.

As for the turn, checking could be disastrous if villain has a hand like QQ/JJ and is planning to fold -- or if he has any hand with enough outs to beat us; until he c/r, we're not sure who's drawing and I think a bet is in order. The c/r sucks, but we have plenty of outs to call it.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:29 PM

The player WD described is not folding TT-QQ anywhere close to a good percentage of the time. That is why I advocate checking, because a tricky player like this is going to put pressure on you and will also want to showdown. I took WD's postflop read on him this way.