Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-13-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: He called me a fish

[ QUOTE ]
Are you planning on showing down UI though? Because if he's betting a large percentage of this range on the river, the fact that we're ahead of king high or something is not very relevant if you're folding to a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

We will improve on a ton of rivers, and I do plan to call the river bet on some rivers that don't improve us. If the board makes a straight with a 5 then I plan to call. If a blank comes off that's not a diamond I plan to call. If I don't think he will fire that last barrel with a worse hand I can see folding, but really unless a diamond comes off I like seeing a showdown here agaisnt an aggressive player. The board is simply too ripe for semibluffing, and there are a million worse hands an aggro player would push hard that AT is ahead of.

Calling might be right on a diamond as well, I'm not sure.

My idea of "a weak TAG" may be a lot different than other people's, though. Some of the TAGs I play with are pretty weak IMO, but they definitely wouldn't have any trouble checkraising this flop with all of the hands I listed above, and following through with their semi-bluff all the way to the river. Depending on what they have, it makes sense to as I will be hardpressed to call a river bet with a queenhigh or kinghigh hand which I will often hold.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(does he have KTs here though??)

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
He defended his blind with KTs, yeah he could have threebet but just calling preflop makes sense too. He flops a strong draw and checkraises it and leads the turn with it. I don't see why this is unusual?

Maybe the type of TAG exists that will do this kind of semibluff but always give up on the river. But I think aggressive players will frequently follow through on the river, and they will be getting pretty good pot odds to do so.

It would also be helpful to know what position the OP openraised from. If he raised from the button I imagine the TAG's range is going to be a lot wider than if he raised UTG.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:18 PM

You said you weren't taking into account diamond draws.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You said you weren't taking into account diamond draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I didn't for the (admittedly rough) range I posted, because I don't think you can do exactly that with pokerstove. But I do think it makes sense to consider the diamond draw possibility when deciding whether or not to call a bet with ace high after various river cards.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:22 PM

I disagree with a good amount of your range.

Here is my quick pokerstove, I included some small inconsistencies to weight:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 63.8068 % [ 00.60 00.04 ] { JJ-44, ATs-A5s, KQs, KTs-K5s, QTs-Q6s, JTs-J7s, T9s-T7s, 98s-97s, 87s-86s, 76s, A9o-A5o, K9o-K7o, Q9o-Q7o, JTo-J8o, T9o-T8o, 98o, 87o }
Hand 2: 36.1932 % [ 00.33 00.04 ] { AcTd }
Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Villain is a TAG of the weak variety, but not so weak he won't semibluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's so weak about him then? Also, what position were you opening from?