Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Huge blinds, a couple of limpers and 56s

Stars $3 Sat to $500k guaranteed. 80 left, 25 get a seat.

Blinds are 1500/3000/a100, Hero and villains have ~t35k. Neither villain has done anything out of the ordinary.

Villain 1 (UTG+1): Limp, folded to
Villain 2 (CO): Limp, folded to Hero in the SB, who has 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Hero sees two live cards, and a 1/3 of his stack in the middle and...

No matter what I go broke here, so my quesiton is more how I go about doing so.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Huge blinds, a couple of limpers and 56s

Well I don't think either villain is folding here for one more big bet and it's doubtful you'll get better pot value in the next orbit before you post and are allin without getting to pick the hand you move with. Might as well take a shot with something that's got decent equity against high cards getting nearly 4:1 and push. The only thing you don't want to see villain holding are overpairs and that doesn't seem likely with 2 limpers.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:44 AM

Clarification: We all have t30k, not t3k. About 10BB, and there is almost 4BB in the middle.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:54 AM

Sorry, saw you said you are in the SB and 1/3 of your stack is in the middle already. That would lead me to think your stack is 4500 before posting the SB and you have 3k behind. With a good read on the villains in this hand I may still push hoping to pickup the limped blinds from players who have most to lose by calling but I wouldn't fault a fold here either. With so few players remaining and equal payouts to 25 spots I like to pick my spots wisely. You also need to steal to keep ahead of the blind levels. I couldn't fault either decision depending on how the villains and the rest of the table has been playing.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Fold. You don't have the stack size to put in extra blinds hoping to get lucky. Secondly, when you do get lucky your stack is way too small to reap the benefits. An all-in raise might work, depends on your oppoenents and if you think they can call a big raise. I'd probably just fold, but a raise could be right.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM

I would just call. I think a push is not horrible but I wonder how much fe you have with this kind of push in this kind of tournament.

It seems you should also be less likely to push given payout structure. Survival is key and you still have enough of a stack to try and find a real hand.

In a satellite, I think it is more beneficial (at least I think so) to steal when nobody has shown any interest in a pot since they are less likely to get involved than in a freezeout.

Edit to say that is not to say resteals are not important but I try to resteal against one aggressive raiser. Not sure if that is best policy or my personal preference based on my experience of success if that makes sense.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold. You don't have the stack size to put in extra blinds hoping to get lucky. Secondly, when you do get lucky your stack is way too small to reap the benefits. An all-in raise might work, depends on your oppoenents and if you think they can call a big raise. I'd probably just fold, but a raise could be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's t11400 in the pot, and you want me to fold for another 1,500? Surely this can't be right. The only question is complete or push?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's t11400 in the pot, and you want me to fold for another 1,500? Surely this can't be right. The only question is complete or push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I complete, and need to flop big to continue.

I play these sats all the time, and you have a good stack, don't piss it away with 56s.

I find that pushing any group 1 hand in any position and pushing any 2 when folded to on the button or sb (sometimes CO if the table is right) works so well in this tourney that trying to get involved otherwise isn't worth the chips.

I complete here given that it won't harm your stack too much, but pushing is wrong.

These sats are all about FE and staying ahead of the blinds, and there are much easier ways of doing that than hoping 56s gets lucky when you get called.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-07-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I complete, and need to flop big to continue.

I play these sats all the time, and you have a good stack, don't piss it away with 56s.

I find that pushing any group 1 hand in any position and pushing any 2 when folded to on the button or sb (sometimes CO if the table is right) works so well in this tourney that trying to get involved otherwise isn't worth the chips.

I complete here given that it won't harm your stack too much, but pushing is wrong.

These sats are all about FE and staying ahead of the blinds, and there are much easier ways of doing that than hoping 56s gets lucky when you get called.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense to me, especially the strategy suggestion - thanks Woodguy (and everyone else). I decided to take a shot at villains, and pushed, Villain one called with JJ. (Limping JJ in EP? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])

Flop: 66 *Whoo-hoo*....J, and my redraw to quads doesn't come through.

Thanks again,

Sam