Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Multiple decision points with AJs

Stars $3 Rebuy, shortly after the first break. The stacks are deep and the donks are legion. I'm new to the table, and have no reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t18225)
UTG+1 (t24550)
MP1 (t2475)
MP2 (t35342)
MP3 (t2193)
CO (t40261)
Hero (t22775)
SB (t13999)
BB (t24781)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t2193</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>,

Hero?

-Folds?
-Cold-calls just in case the blinds wake up with a monster? Or is this asking to be chased off the hand?
-Raises? How much?
-Pushes to isolate?

More decisions to come...
Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Multiple decision points with AJs

raises to isolate
Old 11-03-2005, 01:30 PM

Assuming mp1 doesn't come along. YOu are getting 1.22 to 1 on your money and need 45% equity against villains range. I think this topic was discussed yesterday. Depending on the tightness of villain it was a call/fold. Sossman did this analysis yesterday try looking it up.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:48 PM

fold that shyte
Old 11-03-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold that shyte

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, i'm thinking it might just be a fold.

Maybe you have his range beat slightly, but you're not closing the action.. i think a call is better than a raise.

The isolating shouuld be done just by this push, and your cold call will look decently scary, and then you can fold to a push. You'll have position if limper comes along too... and he's not going to bluff at a dry side pot (well, he could, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt).. so you'll likely see 4 or 5 cards (if you need that many).

i think i like Calling &gt; Folding &gt; Raising &gt; Pushing
Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM

I like Folding &gt; Calling &gt; Raising &gt; Pushing

I fold here because you MIGHT have the best hand, but you won't know, even after the flop, unless it comes AJx or 3 of your suit. Because those 2 scenarios are going to be rare, you're going to have another tough decision after the flop. What if the flop comes 6 2 A? Do you feel confident enough in your kicker after a preflop raise?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 PM

I was going to say fold, but then I had abetter look at the two stacks involved.

I make it $5k to go...

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-03-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to say fold, but then I had abetter look at the two stacks involved.

I make it $5k to go...

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Stack sizes were key - both villains are at ~10% of my stack. Also, I am working under the assumption that they are donkeys, and when donkeys get short they make bad pushes. (Not to get ahead of things too much, but when all was said and done, the limper showed QTo, and the pusher had A2.)
Old 11-03-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make it $5k to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like this because i think if the blinds were going to get involved at 2k, they'll probably still get invovled for 5k, and i don't really want them in this, and if they come in, i want to be in for the minimum.

but, maybe i'm being a pussy.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I make it $5k to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont like this because i think if the blinds were going to get involved at 2k, they'll probably still get invovled for 5k, and i don't really want them in this, and if they come in, i want to be in for the minimum.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the question I'm trying to figure out. If I just call, the blinds will be getting about 2:1 on their call, and may hang around with hands that I beat pre-flop, but do I want to risk being outflopped? A raise would chase small-medium pairs, other AJs, and maybe even AQ (though probably not given the looseness of the tournament).