Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: KQ flop decision

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
. Checking that flop is horrible to whoever said that.

[/ QUOTE ]
im glad we now havea bonafide NLH authority on the board, cause i check this flop often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I would have written IMO but I didnt feel it was necessary. Since this is an internet discussion board IMO is a given. I never claimed that is the only way to pay it, IMO/ given the way I play, checking is horrible.

At this level, a continuation bet will take it down on the flop 50% of the time. I make that bet with 77, KK KQ or anything I raised with. I dont wnat to let up when I actually flop a hand and have people play back at me when I flop [censored] and raise so Ill play it like I would KK or AQ here and then he would be in for a world of hurt.

Once we are raised, it makes it harder to play but I feel pushinhg is the correct play for a few reasons.

1. We have decent equity against many of his possible hands.
Kings up, we have 48%. Set, we still have 29%. Straight gets a bit ugly, but 2 pair is much more likely IMO.

2. We have fold equity. He will definitly fold one pair, might fold KJ KT JT type hands. Since I feel these are all very possible, I think the fold equity is decent, actually as high as 30%

3. We do this when we have KK or AQ and this will allow us to get action on those hands. If he knows we push a hand like this, then he must call with KJ which could be drawing nearly dead when we have AQ KK JJ TT.

This is why I feel pushing is the best play. I could be very worng, but instead of making some smartass one-liner, please prove me wrong using logic and probabilities.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At this level, a continuation bet will take it down on the flop 50% of the time. I make that bet with 77, KK KQ or anything I raised with. I dont wnat to let up when I actually flop a hand and have people play back at me when I flop [censored] and raise so Ill play it like I would KK or AQ here and then he would be in for a world of hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my reason for betting. So far in my very short NL career I have been a flop betting machine and have taken down tons and tons of pots uncontested. Which Im sure is normal but it definately feels weird coming from limit where a flop better almost never takes it down.

[ QUOTE ]

Once we are raised, it makes it harder to play but I feel pushinhg is the correct play for a few reasons.

1. We have decent equity against many of his possible hands.
Kings up, we have 48%. Set, we still have 29%. Straight gets a bit ugly, but 2 pair is much more likely IMO.

2. We have fold equity. He will definitly fold one pair, might fold KJ KT JT type hands. Since I feel these are all very possible, I think the fold equity is decent, actually as high as 30%

3. We do this when we have KK or AQ and this will allow us to get action on those hands. If he knows we push a hand like this, then he must call with KJ which could be drawing nearly dead when we have AQ KK JJ TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did end up pushing and this sums up my thinking at the time really well.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that he'll fold anything short of the nuts and a set? Sounds good to me since he'll often have two pair here. And maybe he'll fold bottom set? That would be really sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao. you think poeple are folding sets here? or top two? i wouldnt count on it in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wasn't saying that he would. I was just showing why Tex's comment didn't make any sense. As I said before, I would rather check/call flop here as default. But once I bet, I'm not folding and I like pushing better than calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. my detector was turned off apparently. im an idiot.

ill blame it on a bad morning session. sry TWP. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]