Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 11-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Default target retirement year

based on your stock strategy/portfolio, what is target retirement year?

for example, your split is 50% bonds - 50% stocks (large cap), target year - 2010.

or, your split is 10% bonds - 40% large cap - 50% small cap, target year 2030.

i'm at a point where some of my funds have run up 30-40%, and i am thinking of rebalancing in favor of one of the Freedom 20X0 funds. that is, selling off the gains, and starting a position in a safer strategy.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: target retirement year

Without regard to commenting on the specific timing of rebalancing, in general when using the freedom type fund of funds you should set your target year to be when you will be roughly 60.

You should also carefully review the costs of using the freedom funds and the performance of the underlying funds its composed of, before deciding whether using this fund is better than doing the balancing yourself with better performing funds.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:58 PM

what if you're "diversified" into 66% international small cap and 33% US stocks? year 2245?
Old 11-03-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should also carefully review the costs of using the freedom funds and the performance of the underlying funds its composed of, before deciding whether using this fund is better than doing the balancing yourself with better performing funds.

[/ QUOTE ]

my question was really more of the different balances that people have. people should realize that the closer they are to retirement, the more they should favor stable investments. in some cases, it is wise to book your gains into that stable position.

[ QUOTE ]

what if you're "diversified" into 66% international small cap and 33% US stocks? year 2245?

[/ QUOTE ]

i realize that you are joking, but this is really not the case. being in risky stocks is fine, but at some point you should be booking gains rather than leaving money in it. you don't play with your whole bankroll, do you?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:11 PM

for what it's worth, my target year is 2030, even though i won't be 60 at that time. i figure if i miss that date, i can still work and adjust my retirement age accordingly. having said that, for my retirement (only fund accounts), i am invested 18% in domestic large-cap, 21% in domestic mid-cap growth, 21% in domestic small-cap growth, and 35% in foreign markets, while 5% is kept by the funds in short term accounts. i am looking to rebalance that more evenly, with approximately 10-15% in short-term accounts.

edit : more accurate percentages
Old 11-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I wasn't joking - those were actually my numbers. I just changed to 35% international small cap, 30% US stock and 35% S&P fund. still not retiring till late 2100's.