Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Entering the world of HU!

Good afternoon, posters of 2+2!

I've been playing poker for about a year now, mostly SH cashgames or 10-man SnGs. All No-Limit.
Recently however, I discovered the magic of Heads-Up play in NL Hold'em cashgames and I got quite attached to that particular artform!

The things I've noticed so far (which might not be all true though), are:

* The swings are quite large!

* Being tired, on tilt or just generally out of balance is really costly in HU games. You should never play under these circumstances otherwise either, but while in HU it can really make your stack go down.

* More often than not it seems that the good players have a bigger edge against worse players while playing HU. This should make table selection much more important.

Those are some observations I've made, but be free to comment them! I also have a few questions:

1) Are the swings "supposed" to be much larger than in SH cashgames? I guess they should be, but would just like to get it confirmed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2) I've found myself almost raising a lot of hands from the SB pre-flop due to being in a favorable position. My starting hand req is quite loose from SB, but are there any hands you usually fold or just call-fold?

3) Would you say (in your opinion) that HU cashgames can be just as profitable as SH cashgames? It seems like HU games are living on the extreme. If you're much better than your opponant in a HU game you'll make a lot of money, while you won't make just as much if you'd meet the same person in a SH game. This might be false though ofc so feel free to comment on it!

That's all I had for the time being, but I would really appreciate some help on these subjects! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Take care now, and have a good day!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Entering the world of HU!

By the way, how much do you defend your big blind? Say the SB bets out 4bb, what hands would you NOT play? Assuming your opponant is neither very loose nor very tight.

Thanks again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 11:11 AM

No opinions on this matter at all? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No opinions on this matter at all? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally the HUSH forum is for limit games, not NL. I know its not intuitive. Perhaps the NL forums would get more response. Good luck!