Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-24-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Seeing monsters or boxing clever?

Is this clever or stupid? It's a fine line...

Four handed Party $5/10. UTG/CO, who is decent, limps. I raise with two tens on the button. BB calls and UTG limp-reraises. Hmmm. I call and BB calls.

Flop: A T T.

Checked to me, I bet, BB folds and UTG calls.

Turn: 3.

He checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet, he caps, I call.

River: A.

He bets. I call.

So? Am I seeing monsters or is this the right play? Or can I fold?

Guy.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Seeing monsters or boxing clever?

I would raise before I fold. I think you see a big A go bonkers here often enough, especially 4-handed.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:31 PM

Raise but its close

In my donkish mind
Old 10-24-2005, 09:34 PM

If your not going to cap with quads, then yea I think your seeing monsters. He's not slowing down with a fullhouse, bet, if he has AA, tell him NH.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:35 PM

That's actually rough.

My first instinct was "there's exactly one hand beating you, push it."

Then I realized he really doesn't have anything else here. He's capping the turn with just an A, and AA lines up perfectly with him LRR'ing.

AK is a possibility, but it doesn't seem likely enough to me to warrant a river raise.

I think a call is good here. Be careful not to over-apply this though, this is a really particular situation.

edit: TT just pointed out that 33 is a possibility too. I don't see people LRR with low PP's too often, but it's another possible holding for sure.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your not going to cap with quads, then yea I think your seeing monsters. He's not slowing down with a fullhouse, bet, if he has AA, tell him NH.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think a "decent player" caps on this turn without AA? He could be overplaying AK, but I don't think that accounts for 66% of his holdings (which we'd need to wanna raise this river).
Old 10-24-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The way I see it, he's told me loud and clear on three streets that he has AA. The question is whether I should listen, and if so, how hard?

Guy.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The way I see it, he's told me loud and clear on three streets that he has AA. The question is whether I should listen, and if so, how hard?

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think its ok the way it is. Yes, he's decent so its hard to put him on a hand other than AA. I think that goes double when you think about what he thinks you have. PF button raise/no cap can mean a lot of hands, but probably not big PPs or big aces. Flop you bet when checked to, doesn't mean a whole lot. Your turn 3bet defines your hand pretty well though. Its an A, a lone T, or 33. But he caps anyways. This tells me he has AA, a big A, 33, and that's about it.

It breaks down a bit on the river, because he doesn't fear TT - that would be seeing monsters - so he'd lead with any A, figuring its a split at worst and at best you'll misclick/fold.

Given all that, I don't think you're ahead enough to raise here. But I'm no Hellmuth so I call.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I'm no Hellmuth so I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding here would be terrible. We've got him beat a good percentage of the time. It's just a question of whether we get a value from a raise -- or more clearly, if we're good here > 66% of the time. In this very particular hand, I don't think we have that much of an over.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 AM

Four handed, i like to cap the river as well. this seems way like a really silly way to play AA, esp if you plan on llr. I think he may well have something like AK, AQ, 33 etc.