Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop II

This is part three on our second "Play a Hand with the Masters". If you haven't already read and contributed to Part One and Part Two you should do so first.

Setup
$100+9 Party Poker MTT
Blinds 50/100
Hero is Gigabet
No strong read on villain

Stacks
Hero: t2670
Villain: t2915

Pre-Flop
Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds. Hero raises to t275. All fold to BB who calls.

Flop
Pot: t600

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks. Hero bets t300. After thinking awhile (or at least taking some time), villain raises to t600. Action is on the hero.

What range of hands do you put the villain on now? Which ties into the question of what do you make of his mini-raise? Do you fold, call, or raise? If you raise, to what amount? Assuming you don't fold what's your plan for the rest of the hand (or how has your plan changed since your last response)?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop II

Hmmm..

i'm thinking he'd fold to a push, and the board isn't that scary.. i say call and raise his turn bet (assuming he makes one)

as for a hand, A7s+, KQ, 88+.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Damn. Am I the only one who thinks that minraising 2+2ers is +EV with just about every hand? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Assuming the minraise wants to get called, The big question is: What hands in villain's range want to get called? I think it's something like KK, AA, JJ, QT, AK, AJ, KJ, AQ, and throw in JT to represent a weird play. Our equity against this range is 51%. I thought we'd be much worse. Knowing this, I push even with a read that villain does this with a hand that wants a call.

Since villain could also have minraised for information, and since most of the hands in his range have decent outs on us, I push.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm..

i'm thinking he'd fold to a push, and the board isn't that scary.. i say call and raise his turn bet (assuming he makes one)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow did I think about this one differently. I really hate seeing the turn with this hand, and I think villain's range is very different.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:44 AM

He's not folding a better hand, and I dont want to give him a chance to get away from a hand like AQ or AT so I'm calling his flop bet and getting it in on the turn.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:45 AM

I call and let him tie himself to the pot by betting out the turn. If a Q or T comes on the turn and he checks, I check behind and call a river bet. If a Q/T comes on the turn and he bets into me, I can base my decision on the size of his bet and possibly find a fold (more likely if a T comes than a Q)

If a blank comes on the turn and he bets into me I can obviously push. If he checks, I would bet 1k-1300 or so.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm..

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow did I think about this one differently. I really hate seeing the turn with this hand, and I think villain's range is very different.

[/ QUOTE ]

what range do you put him on that is scared of a turn card?
Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 AM

BTW, this is about as WAWB as it gets. either we are drawing to 4 outs or he is drawing to 6 at the absolute most (w/ JT or JQ) but more likely 4 or 2.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm..

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what range do you put him on that is scared of a turn card?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm scared of a turn card. I really hate calling here, but given who's disagreeing with me. I'll probably crunch numbers on this at some point.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 AM

Typical min raise in a MTT...The dude is "groping" for the lask of a better word. I think putting him on a monster is looking for monsters under the bed. Many approaches can get the money in but I prefer a 1/2 stack raise leaving us the rest for the turn.