Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Pain in the backside AJo hand

If you are pretty sure someone will bet behind you, then checking planning to checkraise may give you a more reliable information about where you stand. For instance if one of the cold-callers bets and the button raises, you can probably dump it right then if he wouldn't raise with a hand worse than yours. I also thinks this has the best chance to narrow the field if you are in front.

I'm not saying this is best, but I think it has some merit.

Cartman
Old 10-04-2005, 07:55 PM

It seems pretty important to protect your hand with that giant pot. A checkraise is the only way to do this.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It seems pretty important to protect your hand with that giant pot. A checkraise is the only way to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I successfully check-raise the button then the two guys in between us will be facing two bets cold so they'll "only" be getting 11-1 or so (depending on who else calls the button's bet.) This doesn't offer me any protection. Moreover it risks giving the field a free card when the button has a pocket pair that isn't AA. Finally, I think that against most players who fit the button's description, if I manage to check-raise him I will be doing so with a hand worse than his.

Guy.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:11 PM

i feel like my goal on this street should be to thin the field and get as reliable an amount of information as i can. in general, i assume that the preflop 3 bettor has the same goals. therefore, i need to figure out a way to face the maximum number of people with calling two bets cold to force them out of the hand. given the positioning of my opponents and the pfr on this hand it is about as hard as possible. if i were seated to the pfr's immediate right or left then i could either bet and have him raise or wait for his bet and raise respectively -- both facing the entire field with calling two bets cold. in this situation i cannot do this and believe the best option is to bet out. this will almost certainly result in his raise at least forcing the two blinds to call two cold and thin the field as much as possible. i may also get one or both of the cold callers to fold not wanting to get raised. if i check, then they may have the same plan as i do and force me to call two cold so i'm not happy about that at all as i can see a nightmare scenerio where the oppontent on my left bets w ace worse kicker and the pf 3 bettor w/ kk raises and i fold the winning hand. to me this hand is definately worth two small bets on the flop so why not spend them betting and calling the inevitable raise from the pfr 3 bettor. also note that if i bet and someone else raises and the pfr three bets or he raises and the blinds three bet then i can safely fold and have garnered this information for only 1 small bet. IMO this is all cause for betting this hand out on the flop.