Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-02-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Opinions needed on enlisting after college

If you feel obligated to your country get a job with a company helping to rebuild the gulf coast areas.

You'll have a better time than being in the military.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 PM

A very good friend of mine did this out of undergrad. It sounds very similar to you in that he turned down multiple offers to whatever the officer track is and demanded to be put into infantry, and served 4 years in the 101st. Tried out for SF and all that.

Anyway, he did nothing for about a year out of the Army, worked briefly at a defense contractor consulting shop, and is now in the Foreign Service. By his own admission he ended up prepared for nothing except blowing up bridges and following orders.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:57 PM

It takes balls to enlist in the Infantry, good for you.

I maxed the ASVAB and had a GT score of 130 and I enlisted in the Infantry at age 30 because it was something I had always wanted to do. Make sure you can pass the Army's Combat Water Survival Test before you go to RIP. I couldn't swim well and failing this test got me bounced out of RIP. Luckily I got sent to the 82nd Airborne Division.

There will be many times you find yourself hating all the Army b*llsh*t as a more mature and intelligent enlisted man, just know you will have to put up with this crap before you enlist.

If you enlist first and then decide you want to be an officer you can always put in an OCS packet while you're serving. Also if you get assigned to the 75th or serve as an RTO you will get a security clearance which may help you get a job when you get out.

If this is what you really want then do it. Officers may command troops but NCO's lead.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:00 PM

Putting in 15 hours at the motor pool is not something that happens every day. I was a Black Hawk crew chief for 3 years and put in my share of 18+ hour days and 12+ hour days on the weekend that I thought I would be off for, but I never pretended to work more than the platoon leaders or commanders of my unit. The good ones practically live at the office. The pay difference between enlisted and commissioned officers is perfectly fair.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Putting in 15 hours at the motor pool is not something that happens every day. I was a Black Hawk crew chief for 3 years and put in my share of 18+ hour days and 12+ hour days on the weekend that I thought I would be off for, but I never pretended to work more than the platoon leaders or commanders of my unit. The good ones practically live at the office. The pay difference between enlisted and commissioned officers is perfectly fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS, the soldiers do the work, [censored] doesnt get done without them. Officers rarely have 24 hr duties, they have lower pt scores, they fire their weapons once a year, and do ZERO physical labor.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:07 PM

Why in the name of God would you enlist? I'd be surprised if they even let you these days. Get a commission. Trust me, you'll never regret it. Being a commissioned officer in the military, any service, is a very valuable experience. If you enlist, and I hesitate to say this, you will have a completely different experience...I'll let you figure that out yourself.

-JOTR
Old 10-02-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus officer pay is much, much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very important point. Despite what some people think, at the age of about 25-27, you'll be making significantly more cheese than your civilian friends.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By his own admission he ended up prepared for nothing except blowing up bridges...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but this is still a pretty cool skill to have.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:18 PM

I spent 11 years in the military. 13B instead of 11B though. We got to drive to work.

I personally think that it is a very valuable experience for anyone. Yes you put up with all the bullshit but you also learn discipline and teamwork. Probably 2 of the most essential skills in todays world.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BS, the soldiers do the work, [censored] doesnt get done without them. Officers rarely have 24 hr duties, they have lower pt scores, they fire their weapons once a year, and do ZERO physical labor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see what this has to do with pay. There are aspects of a job beyond physical work which require compensation.