Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-18-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Low limit ring games more profitable than STTs?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to better than decent to get 20% ROI at the 11s, 22s and 33s (ie, lower levels).

[/ QUOTE ]The OP was talking about the lowest level SNG, i.e. the $5 games.

I don't mean to insist I was right about 30+%. That is my impression, but if those with more experience disagree, I will give up -- I'm not willing to play 1000 $5 SNG to try to make a point!
Old 09-18-2005, 03:00 PM

The word "doable" is misleading.

I will argue until I'm blue in the face that you can win over $4 per $11 SNG, but the correct answer is that in 99% of cases, "you" probably can't.

The "doable" numbers match up, as do the "usual" numbers (3bb/100 vs 20% ROI = very similar hourly rate)

Lori
Old 09-18-2005, 03:00 PM

I've had the same success, I've taught 4, one is a decent winner at 22's, and 2/4.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:12 PM

How many SNGs does it take before ROI becomes meaningful?

After a seemingly never-ending downswing at limit ring games, I decided to blow off stome steam at SNGs, which I had never played. I started off with an ROI so high it can't possibly be sustainable, but I'd like to know how long before I start to think I actually have a talent for the game instead of an incredible run of luck.

As far as the OP's question, at the moment, SNGs are far more profitable for me than limit ring games, but I have no idea what the future holds.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Around 1000 is where things get reasonable, although your ITM can give you a clue a little sooner than that.

You can be a 25% ROI winner and have regular 100 tourney streaks (I've lost my favorite post link with the details) with a negative ROI

Lori
Old 09-18-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say less than 5% of low level SNG players could achieve greater than 30% ROI. That is absolutely crushing the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm just under 50% roi over ~300 5 +.50 4-6 tabling. it's not really that hard
Old 09-18-2005, 03:35 PM

There is no way this is possible. I have played 11 dollar sitngos when I first started out and with roi of about 35% or so. If you play them in high volumes and 4 table you make much more cash with less varience much faster. I also did this with a $330 bankroll and moved up every time I got 30 buy ins for the next level. I am almost 100% sure of this. Also the grind of ring games is long and terrible. I have played as high as 15/30 four tabling and I would rather play sitngos any day of the week.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way this is possible. I have played 11 dollar sitngos when I first started out and with roi of about 35% or so. If you play them in high volumes and 4 table you make much more cash with less varience much faster. I also did this with a $330 bankroll and moved up every time I got 30 buy ins for the next level. I am almost 100% sure of this. Also the grind of ring games is long and terrible. I have played as high as 15/30 four tabling and I would rather play sitngos any day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

once you have played more sngs, you wont want to play either ever. holla
Old 09-18-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also the grind of ring games is long and terrible. I have played as high as 15/30 four tabling and I would rather play sitngos any day of the week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I multitable ring games, and play maybe 8-10 SNGs per week as a way to mix things up. I feel the opposite of your statement.

As Raptor said, ring forces you to make many more decisions, which I find to very stimulating. The early stages of SNGs are fairly boring to me, and as a whole they can be formulaic. Part of it for me might be that I feel stronger as a ring player than I do in SNGs b/c I've played way more over there.

But, variance in ring sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

FWIW, 22s and $3-6 LHE (full, some 6max)
Old 09-18-2005, 08:01 PM

yeah to be honest I pretty much hate online play now. I love playing live still though. Sucks though, with my crim justice degree there is pretty much nothing I can do to make more money then I make now.

Thats right, I do it for the money bitches.