Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Heads up SnGs

I know a few of you guys play a few of these heads up tourneys on stars now and again, does anyone have any good pointers to good theory posts, any good heads up books or anything that will generally help?

If you have any hidden wisdoms i would be very appreciative - if your not willing to reveal them on here, please PM me.

It seems to me that the total amount of theory written on playing heads up tournaments can be written on the back of a postage stamp. Two stamps if you use a big font.

Im not looking for the golden gun method of beating the games, but im struggling to take my game to the next level - theres only so many plays you can adapt from full table theory and short of just playing a few thousand and learn the hard way im at a bit of a loss as to where to go now.

Thank you to anyone who gives some help,

Phill
edit, just to say ive tried heads up & short handed and it is mostly limit and 90% of it is 6 max games.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Heads up SnGs

you may have to bite the bullet and learn the hard way. heads up is such a finesse game that requires quite a bit of skill that its impossible to learn much of the deeper tactics from a book. for starters, if playing no limit, make the slider and raise button yer friend. ive played MANY entire games at the 520 down to 105 lvl on stars potting EVERY hand from the button preflop, and 2/3 potting 2/3 of the flops. if they play tight AT ALL, they have almost no chance. holla
Old 09-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Do you have any comments about the difficuly or average player skill of the various levels you have played?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any comments about the difficuly or average player skill of the various levels you have played?

[/ QUOTE ]

105s they all suck. 210s they all suck. 520s they start getting good, but still not that good. 1ks you might run into some trouble. 5ks you will run into quite a bit of trouble, but properly rolled they can be DECENT. holla
Old 09-14-2005, 01:49 PM

The reason that there is so little written about it is that you can play any hand any way and it be correct.

Each hand should be taken in the context of the match, you should get your money with the best of it in the bigger pots and not in the smaller ones [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] but you shouldn't just let them walk over you in the smaller ones because then the bigger ones don't make up for it anymore......

I post this only to show why it's so hard to help.

Lori
Old 09-15-2005, 10:14 AM

Thanks a lot for the replies, reinforced a lot about what i figured regarding specific strategies.

To the heads up tourneys i go then...

Phill
Old 09-15-2005, 10:20 AM

I play HU when I'm short of time and seem to do well overall. I think Lori made a very good post a while back on the profitability of these which I would recommend reading before heading off to make a few p in these. For experience sake however, crack on.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Im assuming thats the post regarding the inability to sucessfully multitable them.

Im aware of that factor, but the games are much shorter and games/hr prolly wont be far off the SnGs i play (deeper stack and two tabling usually).

One of the other factors in playing these is the amount of XYZ (read non-solid) play that you have to do, which in theory should travel over to cash games quite well.

Phill
Old 09-15-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
105s they all suck. 210s they all suck. 520s they start getting good, but still not that good. 1ks you might run into some trouble. 5ks you will run into quite a bit of trouble, but properly rolled they can be DECENT. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcellent.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:19 PM

Very good point about the potential to travel over to cash games. I hadn't really thought about that.