Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: poker players stingy with money??

I spend more now that I make $ playing online. But I also have a full-time job. Not sure if these are things I'd spend on otherwise.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for example today i shopped for a notebook, and found the one i wanted for $1500. so i said to myself, i'll deposit $500 into a site, and if i can turn it into $1500 then i'll buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW!

You are so cool. Can I be you?
Old 09-14-2005, 12:45 AM

Poker bankroll is completely separate from my spending money. I play poker to get better and move up. I'm not a college student, but a married guy with a full time job. In order to keep playing, at the end of each month, 1/2 the winnings go to the house (new furniture, new patio, painters, etc). As long as I win, I can keep playing. Am I stingy with my poker money, hell yea. I want to keep playing!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:56 AM

I think everyone is really stingy with winnings until they are forced to spend it, then it becomes really easy.

I spent very little besides the relationship essentials (which I wasn't cheap with, but, I didn't go nuts either) until I got my car, and after that just went nuts and spent very freely and still had 800 BB leftover for the limits I play.

I've noticed most of the people I know are this way too, they sit on it until some big expense comes up, then they realize being a fat cat is fun.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:58 AM

Wanting to save your winnings to build a bankroll to go to a higher limit is one thing, but just saving and hording money is stupid.

Saving all your money for a rainy day
And giving all your clothes to charity
Last night the wife said
Oh boy when you're dead
You won't take nothing with you
But your soul
Think!
(John Lennon)
Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 AM

man, this is a brilliant idea. I was just thinking about buying a tropical island. Im going to go deposit 500 into a site, and if i turn it into 10 mil, SUNNY BEACH HERE I COME!!!!!!

peace

john nickle
Old 09-14-2005, 02:30 AM

this thread is pretty gay
Old 09-14-2005, 04:27 AM

I hadn't really thought about things that way. I haven't really had that experience even once I had to hit my savings for a laptop, but I do find that my spending goes in spurts, I'll pop for a $100 dinner with a friend and then want to do it again soon, then not spend anything for awhile; or I'll buy a few things where I'd normally not spend enough for even one; or I won't get CDs or books for months and then spend a few hundred all at once.

In general though I think [serious] poker players and others who deal with money as the tool of their trade are a lot more conscious of costs than others and count pennies and dollars more rigorously. I often say that if I want to get a good deal on something or find out how to get the best bang for my buck, there's no better group than this forum. I think that tends to make us stingy at times because we guard our money so carefully.

Of course this is for the people who -are- serious players. The ones with enough natural talent to succeed quickly and to a great degree may not have such tight safeguards on their bankroll (which is often what spills over into safeguards on savings and spending cash) and go the other direction, spending lavishly. It's hard to imagine that myself, but you hear about it happening often enough that you can't discount it, nor can you characterize all poker players as belonging to one camp of money management. I imagine though that winning players tend toward extremes, and that probably holds true with anyone who deals a whole lot in investments or other areas where they handle large sums of money regularly (especially when there is a personal aspect to the money).
Old 09-14-2005, 06:00 AM

For me, Spending money isn't "hard" or "Horrible" i can blow £500 on clothes if i have the chance and need.

With poker though or products (laptop for example i plan to buy), because its taking me SO LONG to get the cash(through poker) it will be HARD TO SEE IT GO.

I will shop around before i purchase my laptop as i hate to find a better deal and think "dam lost £100 buying there".

Not stingy, just wise. Ill go and buy round of drinks etc...

When it comes to buying products however, I'll shop around.

Maybe many of us know the value of $? £? I think i do.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 AM

I was stingy until my BR hit 6K. I notice that I now spend more freely, help out relatives, buy equipment, etc.

So, my BR is stuck at 6K since June. I just started at playing 2/4 full and 6max and will now have to cut down on spending a bit.