Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Muse

A friend told me this band was pretty good so I downloaded them on yahoo music and so far I'm a fan. Their singer sounds kinda like Thome York. Two questions about them...

First, have they been around for awhile and I'm dumb for not knowing who they are? New upcoming band? They suck and I'm tasteless for liking them?

Second, are there any other bands like this I am missing out on? I got yahoo music so I could try out a whole bunch of new music and I'm running out of new stuff to download.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Muse

I'm a fan of Absolution. I think it's a great album. I lent it to a friend who's Irish and likes a lot of brit rock, thinks Radiohead's the greatest thing, etc. He just came out and said he doesn't like Muse because he thinks they're trying to copy Radiohead. I personally don't agree on the copying Radiohead part - I think it's just a kneejerk reaction to hearing the guy's voice.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 PM

nothing stands out about them, to me atleast. What Songs should I be checking out, because I didn't really like what I heard all that much.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM

When I first downloaded them I just started listening to the Absolution CD from the beginning and liked it starting w/ the first song (Apocalypse Please).

I think my favorite song so far is probably "Thoughts of Dying an Atheist" or "Butterflies & Hurricanes"
Old 07-29-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nothing stands out about them, to me atleast. What Songs should I be checking out, because I didn't really like what I heard all that much.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can understand people who say nothing really stands out about them in particular, but I do like the album a lot. It's not revolutionary or going to change your life or anything, but it's a good listen. My favorite songs are "Time is Running Out", "Hysteria", and a little farther back, "Stockholm Syndrome" and "Butterflies and Hurricanes". "Apocalypse Please" sets up nicely for "Time is Running Out". The rest is mostly filler-ish, which I guess indicates that maybe I shouldn't have called it a great album, but it does set a decent mood. I like it.

I'd suggest listening to it as an album instead of track-by-track. "Time is Running Out" and "Hysteria" are single-type songs (and are indeed the two singles), but the rest sounds better as part of the whole. I guess I'm more of the type to listen to albums than singles, though, so whatever that means.

I do think they could've done better with the production of the album.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:36 PM

They've been around for at least 6 years, but I hadn't heard of them until recently as well. I've listened to Absolution many, many times and I recommend:

Time is Running Out
Stockholm Syndrome
Hysteria
Butteflies & Hurricanes
The Small Print
Old 07-29-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I can understand people who say nothing really stands out about them in particular, but I do like the album a lot. It's not revolutionary or going to change your life or anything, but it's a good listen. My favorite songs are "Time is Running Out", "Hysteria", and a little farther back, "Stockholm Syndrome". "Apocalypse Please" sets up nicely for "Time is Running Out". The rest is mostly filler-ish, which I guess indicates that maybe I shouldn't have called it a great album, but it does set a decent mood. I like it.

I'd suggest listening to it as an album instead of track-by-track. "Time is Running Out" and "Hysteria" are single-type songs (and are indeed the two singles), but the rest sounds better as part of the whole. I guess I'm more of the type to listen to albums than singles, though, so whatever that means.

I do think they could've done better with the production of the album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time is Running Out got a TON of radio airplay. I don't even own a radio and heard it all the time. Surprised that lots of people haven't heard of them.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:40 PM

I rarely listen to the radio (at least to music) because all of the radio stations around here suck a lot... (twin cities)
Old 07-29-2005, 03:41 PM

Yeah I have heard "Time is Running Out" and "Hysteria", didn't like either one very much.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:42 PM

Absolution is by far my least favourite Muse album. OOS and Showbiz are about as good as each other and are great albums IMO. They are fantastic live, their gig at Glastonbury 2004 is the best I have ever seen live.

To OP: They have been around for maybe 6 years or so and are medium level big over here in the UK. You dont suck at all for likeing them - do try and catach them live.