Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Am I insane? (89s in huge pot)

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone c/r the flop? If MP3 makes a continuation bet, maybe this will at least eliminate a couple of players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered the relative position of MP3?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would just call the check-raise and plan to raise the turn regardless of what falls.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could you, please, explain the advantage of this play? I don't think I understand it....
Old 07-07-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone c/r the flop? If MP3 makes a continuation bet, maybe this will at least eliminate a couple of players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered the relative position of MP3?

[/ QUOTE ]

nevermind, guess could only get rid of MP1 and MP2.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:31 PM

Don 't have much to say about the hand, other than that I don't necessarily agree with everyone who says that positing in EP is so dumb in a small stakes game.

When you post, you expect a random hand, which will win fewer than less than it's fair share, and you get to play one additional hand for free, which may also win a nice sized pot. I think a good player can expect to get about 15 cents of this money back. It may take 3 minutes to wait for the blind. Three minutes of my time is worth much more to me than 10 cents, so I would be willing to post in this situation.

I think some people get too caught up with the bottom line. There is a tendency to look down on players who have any motivation other than proifit. This is a mistake. If I our goal was truly to maximize our hourly earnings, any of us would do a whole lot better moonlighting as waitrers and waitresses at TGI Fridays than we ever will playing $1/$2 limit poker. I don't care how many tables you play. So it really isn't all about the money for any of us. If someone wants to sacrifice a few cents of e.v. for the sake of enjoying himself, try not to knock him for it.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think some people get too caught up with the bottom line

[/ QUOTE ]

You're in the wrong forum, bro.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think some people get too caught up with the bottom line. There is a tendency to look down on players who have any motivation other than proifit.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an unstated assumption on these forums that the advice given on hands are for the most +EV play. For those people who want to play for relaxation/fun, this forum isn't for them.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think some people get too caught up with the bottom line. There is a tendency to look down on players who have any motivation other than proifit.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an unstated assumption on these forums that the advice given on hands are for the most +EV play. For those people who want to play for relaxation/fun, this forum isn't for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play for money and for fun. Winning is fun and losing is not, so money and fun go hand in hand. that being said, there are times that I might make a slightly -ev play just for fun. For example, suppose I have had a dead run of cards for an hour, and I don't have time to play anymore. I'm out when the next blind rolls around. I get J8s UTG. I might play it, simply because it is the last hand of the night. Yeah, I might be losing 5 cents of ev, but I'll go to bed happier because I finally got to play a hand. Or I could make more money playing 4 tables at a time instead of 2. I tried that, but I couldn't follow the action as well, and didn't enjoy it as much, so I went back to 2 tabling. EV is very important, but there are other considerations. Anyone who denies that should take their blinders off.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play for money and for fun. Winning is fun and losing is not, so money and fun go hand in hand. that being said, there are times that I might make a slightly -ev play just for fun. For example, suppose I have had a dead run of cards for an hour, and I don't have time to play anymore. I'm out when the next blind rolls around. I get J8s UTG. I might play it, simply because it is the last hand of the night. Yeah, I might be losing 5 cents of ev, but I'll go to bed happier because I finally got to play a hand. Or I could make more money playing 4 tables at a time instead of 2. I tried that, but I couldn't follow the action as well, and didn't enjoy it as much, so I went back to 2 tabling. EV is very important, but there are other considerations. Anyone who denies that should take their blinders off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be missing the point completely.

There's nothing wrong with playing those hands for fun. But if you post that hand, expect a few hundred "Fold PF"s. We're not denying the fun factor of the game, but the posts here are not to share about how much fun the game of poker can be. Posts here are to help learn to analyze poker mistakes so that fewer of them are made. There's an obvious mistake being made (posting UTG+1) and it should be pointed out.

We're not looking down at the player who is posting UTG+1, but we're looking down at the value of that particular decision.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You seem to be missing the point completely.

There's nothing wrong with playing those hands for fun. But if you post that hand, expect a few hundred "Fold PF"s. We're not denying the fun factor of the game, but the posts here are not to share about how much fun the game of poker can be. Posts here are to help learn to analyze poker mistakes so that fewer of them are made. There's an obvious mistake being made (posting UTG+1) and it should be pointed out.

We're not looking down at the player who is posting UTG+1, but we're looking down at the value of that particular decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not missing the point at all. If the original poster had simply shared a hand history where he had posted UTG+1, and didn't mention the fact, and other posters let him know that he shouldn't do it, then I wouldn't have said anything.

However, he stated that he knew it was incorrect to post under the gun, but that he had to go somewhere in 20 minutes, and he didn't want to wait. This should have been enough, but for some reason, several posters still felt the need to chime in about how dumb it is to post in EP, and that having somewhere to go and not wanting to wait is not a good reason for doing it. Maybe for them it is not, but for him it is, and they don't need to criticize him for it after he already acknowledged that it wads not technically correct.

Also, for all of you "EV is everything" people, see my thread titled "st00pid question." I think it makes the point in a better way.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:46 PM

At this table it might have been +EV to post UTG... I mean random cards have pretty good equity vs. 76o and 75o [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]