Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Correct Slowplay, or Missed Bet?

No real reads at this point, just a typical 2/4 game. Was I right to check the turn here, or did I just pass on four extra dollars?

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 06-20-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Correct Slowplay, or Missed Bet?

I think that it's fine to check here. The pot is small and you're quite likely to win if you bet the turn. If the flush comes on the river, however, you'll win a few bets.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:39 PM

more likely than losing a bet I think you earned a bet.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:45 PM

what hand are you going to let get there? you need to decide if you're up against a gutshot or a flush draw or an ace more often. gutshots want free cards so you shouldnt bet, flush draws and aces dont care, anything else might bluff. frankly I dont think you're making a serious error checking here, but I just bet
Old 06-20-2005, 10:01 PM

I dislike it. If villain was on a flush draw (or gutshot), you aren't getting any bets from him on the river. Get a bet on the turn.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:27 PM

Villian was probably going for a check-raise on the turn. At the very least, hes seeing a showdown. I bet this turn.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Bet the turn

Flush draws are most likely and they'll call your bet. You may get some loose gutshot calls as well. If you check and a blank falls, you won't get any bets. If another diamond falls, you'll get the same action you'd get whether or not you bet the turn.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:03 PM

How on earth do you not miss a bet when you check behind ?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:46 AM

of course you missed a bet
Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How on earth do you not miss a bet when you check behind ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I get that. Thanks.

The question is, is it better to bet out here with the chance that they guy will fold, or check here to let him either catch some help on the river or induce him to bluff. So I guess the real question is, if I think the guy is on a flush draw, do I still bet here when it's heads up? Or if I put him on a pair of queens, do I still bet the turn thinking he'll call, after I raised preflop and bet the flop?

Personally, I still think it was better to check behind on the turn. But judging by the smartass remarks, I'm guessing it's up for debate.