Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Money management

Besides loving the game, we play to make money.
That, in the end, is the primal goal of the game.

From day 1, I've wanted to take some of my BR out and save it as profit, but when I played limit, I never got the chance (crazy $2/$4 variance never let me). Now, playing SnGs exclusively, I want to start saving some of my money while at the same time keeping my BR secure with as little risk of ruin as possible.

I thought if I gave the decision of how much to take out as a "civilian," selecting a random amount of my choice, and not a poker player, I would be making a mistake in the mathematical sense. But I'm short on the exact mathematical reasoning that would give me the correct result.

That's why I come to you, dear 2+2 brothers and sisters [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

How much, or for instance what percentage of my [monthly] ROI% can I take out every month, and still keep a very low risk of ruin?

Does this question require more variables to be defined?
Like ROI, BR, net profit, buy-in level, etc?

I don't want to say "I'll keep 50 buy-ins and take out the rest", I want to find the mathematically correct amount and start saving it for a rainy day, or is there a certain number of buyins that will fit my criteria?

Compared to the $55-$109-$215ers amongst us, I probably make less every week than what you spend on your morning session, but still, I'd like to start putting some away.

I'm an enthusiastic $22 player constantly reading, studying, and looking to move up.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Money management

It's hard to come up with a mathematically "correct" amount, since it depends on your ROI plus the value you place on having some money now versus more money later.

Ideally, you want to play the level where you make the most $$/hour. To do that optimally (i.e., as quickly as possible), that usually involves forgoing cashouts to build the BR. That level differs for each person, and often is different as you (hopefully) get better and learn more.

That said, one common method is to pull out half your winnings each month, as long as the BR hit wouldn't force you to move down.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Money management

if you are not winning enoguh to be able to cash out some while not moving up its unfair to just state variance, its much more likely you just arent a winning player for any significant value. variance is the most overused excuse on this forum, sure it is possible and over time it will negatively effect all but it is thrown around way too loosely, this isnt a personal attack at all its just more a general frustration as a whole.