Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Hiow often is \"nh\" sarcastic?

I donīt really mind about NH beign sarcastic or not.
But GG.

GG is another history. 99% of the time it is sarcastic and an horrible view to you.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:39 PM

Most of the time when I type it, it's sarcastic.

On those rare occasions when someone plays a hand really well and completely pwns my ass, it's genuine.

Tom
Old 05-31-2005, 01:45 PM

I try to be sincere and this is what I get. We shared the nuts and split the pot. After cursing, flipping the monitor off, and punching the wall, I let my blood pressure drop, then I thought, well, might as well acknowledge that she had a good hand (since I'm also complimenting myself [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) , and the conversation follows below the hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#A500AF">Button(Whiny villain) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HERO 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button <font color="#A500AF">(Whiny villain)</font> calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">HERO bets</font>, Whiny villain calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
HERO checks, Whiny villain checks.

River: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">HERO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Whiny villain raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">HERO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Whiny villain caps</font>, HERO calls.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

Results:
HERO has Qd Ks (straight, king high).
Whiny villain has Kc Qs (straight, king high).
Outcome: Whiny villain wins 6.37 BB. HERO wins 6.37 BB.

After a hand goes by and I recover:

<font color="#CC3333">HERO: paid some rake there, nh</font>
Whiny villain: XXX suck
<font color="#CC3333">HERO: tell me about it
HERO: next time fold</font>
Whiny villain: sss

I love it! I got hissed at [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 01:49 PM

I use it all the time but its never sarcastic and rarely sincere. It's merely a nice tool to congratulate someone on their play whether they deserve it or not.

If I was truly outlplayed, the opponent knows it and can take the compliment as it is intended. If I was sucked out on, the player may or may not know that its an insincere compliment but I want them to keep playing hands that way in the future so, from a long-run perspective, it was a very nice hand...for me.

cbf

P.S. I definately use it to blow off steam after a suck-out but I always smile a little inside when the opponent types "ty".
Old 06-01-2005, 01:24 AM

Other than paying rake, why was he twisted? He was the calling station with nothing until the river? You were aggressive representing a hand and he was calling with nothing until the river.

As for NH, who knows, half the people using it sarcastically don't understand the math enough to know flopping an open ended straight draw with bottom/middle pair is enough to call the turn bet most of the time.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
90% of the time I say it, it is sarcastic
Nothing puts me on tilt like someone not realizing this and replying back saying TY to an obviously bad hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to get this alot when I've done something aggressive and correct in a huge pot. (And off course when I do something utterly stupid and suck out. Which primarily happens in tourneys.)

Followed by a "way to raise your gutshot on the flop fish!" after my sincere "ty". I can rant here that I didn't raise my gutshot. I raised my double gutshot with a backdoor flush draw, and I did it for value! I've never fallen for the temptation to say this at the table though.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 AM

i'd guess nh is sarcastic about 95% of the time, and of the 5% of the time its not sarcastic what they really mean is "wow you sure are skilled to win that coinflip" or "you sure are good at making (insert really strong hand here)".

People almost never say "nh" in response to an actually well played hand, mostly becasue most of the people who say "nh" wouldn't know a well played hand if they did see it.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:25 AM

See, there's an art to this if you are really bored.

A month or two ago I'm a bit tired, but not tired enough to sleep, so I fire up one table on Party and play a bit.

The same situation occurs (but with an OESD) and after I win villain goes on tilt. (It was a huge 25BBish pot)

Villain: nh
Me: ty
V: i wuz being sarcastic you lucky #####
V: wtf? you suck
Me: ty for your money
V: you keep raising with nothing and calling down ill win that pot every time
Me: then why did I win this time?
V: cuz you got lucky.
Me: Oh, well you'll have to win your money back all those other times.
V: oh I will, calling with NOTHING, nice runner runner.
V: (long rant about how much I suck, is completely on tilt, etc.)

Now, I saw a chance to do something amazing. I explained in great detail how my play was absolutely correct, and how I had odds for everything I did. Sounds stupid, right? NO! Why? Because after I did that and got villains attention I throw this in.

Me: Shame you didn't 3 bet that flop (he had bottom pair which made two pair on the turn, and had terrible relative position to the field, so this wasn't at all an example of SSHE's raising with second best hand to improve odds) because I would have had to fold.
V: really?
Me: Yeah, I wouldn't have had odds to draw.
V: Hmm.. then I would've only lost 2 bets to __________ (who had a set) instead of 8 to you... I'll have to remember that.

That night, a maniac was born. And I know this because I buddy listed him and played with him quite a bit under different skin accounts, laughing at how much crazier his play was, desperate to protect his horrible hand against straight draws.

All the other fish had ceased paying attention too, so there was no danger of educating them. It was amazing.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:59 AM

Usually when I'm being sarcastic, I throw in tons of exclamation points like..."VNH!!!!!11!!!!!!"

I think you can usually tell by how strong the hand is if it's sarcastic or not. What I don't get is when someone has like AT pair of aces, and someone says "nh" on the river, b/c it's just some average hand and nothing special happened.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Some players think that good cards have a divine right to win - If I can see a flop cheap with cards that can take this right away from them then I will - If I rake a nice pot from them and get a comment such as nh and they are a type of player who is about to tilt

I will type

'ty - I knew you had nothing....'

works every time [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]