Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Hiow often is \"nh\" sarcastic?

And I don't mean New Hampshire.

Personally, I don't pay much attention to the chat, and I tend to assume that people are being polite unless they make it prefectly clear that they aren't, which all too many whiners are perfectly happy to make clear.

[In my book, you have to read the potential of the board to the end. Ranting self-proclaimed 'experts' who cap my raises because they consider their simplifying assumptions to be the Commandments of Poker probably contribute as much to my pots as newbie fish)]

Sarcasm and other "tone of speech" are notoriously difficult to read from strangers on the Internet. I've always felt that a courtesy remark is just that, and that people who read them as sarcasm are often just projecting their own inner hostility on to a blank remark. However, I've read many posters who talk about saying "nh" when they are too livid to construct complete cords. Do I simply misunderstand the etiquette?

I couldn't care less if someone is pissed that I won a hand. However, I do try to be polite, so I'll toss in a "nh" to show no hard feelings when I lose to a monster, and reply with aa "ty" if someone tosses a quick "nh" to me. I like a chatty game (though I won't discuss the game itself) and while I don't mind profiting from someone else's tilt (discipline is a big part of the game), I don't try to provoke it. If it was all about the Benjamins, I'd put those extra hours into my profession (which I love). Poker is supposed to be a pleasant change of pace.

So... do you read "nh" as a geniune appreciation of your winning quads, or a skillfully slowplayed hand -- or as an indication that I am tracing your IP and will dream tonight of taking a Louisville slugger to your dentalwork?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Hiow often is \"nh\" sarcastic?

I type "nh" when I win a big pot.

Is this considered rude or sarcastic?.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I go one better. I type "nh" and "ty". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 07:22 AM

Sort of off topic but this came up in conversation yesterday.

In B&M you hear people say "nice hand" but it sounds insincere when it is said to a weak player who gets lucky with a bad hand. A friend of mine is one of the best and most well liked mid-limit players in LA. He suggests saying "nice pot" instead of "nice hand" because it doesn't sound sarcastic.

~ Rick
Old 05-31-2005, 08:41 AM

90% of the time I say it, it is sarcastic
Nothing puts me on tilt like someone not realizing this and replying back saying TY to an obviously bad hand.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:55 AM

100% +/- 5%
Old 05-31-2005, 08:56 AM

Any time I get outlucked obviously it is a sarcastic "nh" coming from me.

But generally I show whether it is genuine or not by adding a short phrase that most of you would probably not like me to use but here goes...

wow, nh, it takes some skill to win with those cards

That's my sarcastic, "how could you cold call that crap pre-flop and call a flop raise having missed, then catch runner runner for some miracle monster that steals my pot?", phrase.

If all I write is "nh." Generally that is when I mean it. Or if the hand was absolutely atrocius I am just too steamed to get anymore out of my keyboard than nh before the damn thing gets thrown out the window!
Old 05-31-2005, 09:25 AM

I usually just say "nice hit"

I hate lying, so I never say nice hand or well played when "nice shot, you [censored] luckbox" will do.

RB
Old 05-31-2005, 10:03 AM

If I had to wager a guess...

When it's actually a "nice" hand, such as quads or a straight flush, I'd guess most of the time it's sincere. Especially if it's coming from someone not involved in the pot, and therefore has lost no money in the incident.

Now, when I call a flop bet with middle pair, turn a flush draw, and then river my flush, I highly doubt the "nh" coming from the guy with TPTK is sincere at all. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]