Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-22-2005, 04:57 AM

Default QQ and flop trips. I misplayed this, right?

Only been at the table for one round, so no real reads yet. Just a typical 2/4 table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB

Poorly played, right? Looking back, seems like I should have re-raised on the flop, then bet out on the turn. If he raises the turn, then I slow down? But I wasn't expecting him to fold to the check-raise, either. So I don't know. Comments?
Old 05-22-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: QQ and flop trips. I misplayed this, right?

Considering the board, I would call the flop reraise.

I would lead out when the non spade hits on the turn.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:47 AM

I like that line, but do you 3bet when he raises you again? I guess so
Old 05-22-2005, 12:00 PM

I have a big issue with the flop call, I think this is a necessary three-bet in case he's going for a free card (although I don't know if people at this level think that deeply). if he caps, go into call-down mode and consider yourself drawing to a boat (I think?). if he calls, bet out a non-spade turn and call a raise.

the turn checkraise doesn't make much sense to me, but it could be the best line considering your flop call. what was your line of thought for the checkraise? what makes much less sense is his fold, though.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:10 PM

Three betting the flop is manditory. The turn checkraise is not a good idea, because he can take a free card to beat you. There is only a small chance that he flopped a flush. Usually in this situation he is on a flush draw or attempting some silly bluff. Value raise relentlessly.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:26 PM

3-bet the flop/lead turn or call the raise/lead turn. checking the turn here is silly.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what was your line of thought for the checkraise?

[/ QUOTE ]
My thinking at the time was along these lines. I'm probably still best right now, but I'm not too sure what he has. Big spade probably. Also, from my limited time at the table, he seems somewhat aggressive. So if I re-raise the flop, he calls and then waits to hit his flush. If I just call his raise on the flop, then I'm certain he's going to fire on the turn regardless of what card comes up. I didn't give him enough credit to raise the flop in order to get a free card on the turn. So by calling, I can check-call the turn and river if a spade hits on the turn. If the spade hits and it goes check-check, I bet out on the river representing the spade. If a non-spade falls on the turn, I can get in a check-raise since I'm sure he'll bet (which seemed to be an accurate read). I just didn't think he would fold to the check-raise. I was pretty sure he was going to call me down the whole way after raising on the flop.

But I agree with everyone here, I was probably a lot better off re-raising the flop and leading out on the turn. If he caps the flop and raises me on the turn, then I need to start thinking that he has a flush.

As it is, I guess he had a small spade, or maybe a ten?
Old 05-22-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looking back, seems like I should have re-raised on the flop, then bet out on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!
Your hand is almost certainly best right now.
Nothing wrong with winning it right now or after your turn bet.

bill
Old 05-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Yeah, if he takes a free one and a spade hits the river, its pretty gross. Especially if he was raising you with cheese. (It seems he was since he folded the turn) and wins with the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or something. Jam it up. If he had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] he's calling for sure. When you just call his raise, he's not bettting the turn with those hands when you check, and some might even put the cap in on the flop with a big spade (if that was his hand, which it obviously wasn't).
Old 05-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Bet, bet, bet, bet and then, bet. If he caps the turn on a non-spade, THEN you can slow down.