Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Default What\'s on the Interpoker \"Free CD\"

On the Interpoker website's main page, there is a link to a free CD offer, but I'll be danged if I can find any hint of what's on the CD. It doesn't even say if it's an audio CD or a CDROM of text and programs.

I know a lot of people figure "Who cares? It's free," but many marketing companies use giveaways to compile sellable databases, so I don't apply for freebies unless the offerings are juicy. It's an issue of principle.

For those who don't know, Interpoker probably wouldn't dare sell their customer database, but marketers would be almost as happy with a list of people who requested a freebie from (and hence, visited and browsed) a poker room website. IP can make the excuse that the people on the list are not *necessarily* members, present or future, and they signed up voluntarily. IP could also plausibly deny that they knew a outside CD fulfillment house was compiling a list. "We were just passing on an offer."

That's not particularly shady as far as Internet lists go, and it's been common in marketing for at least 25 years. I often track the origin of my junk mail by using different middle initials, misspellings of my name or (for the last 10 years) spamcatcher e-mail addys. I've been surprised at the origin of some of those lists: banks, pharmacies, and other places that have an ostensible responsibility to preserve confidentiality use gimmicks like this to get around it.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: What\'s on the Interpoker \"Free CD\"

I believe it is the interpoker software, if for some reason you don't want to just download it.