Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Mike Gallo
y 65 46.10%
n 42 29.79%
o 34 24.11%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Default How aggressive do you get here?

Unfortunately my poker tracker didn't get this tournament so I must relay it by memory.
I am big stack CO about T9,182. My image is very tight and agg ,VP$IP 11 due to no cards in the last half hour and showed down with good hands when I did get to river. EP is about T5500 and only playing solid hands. EP stats are VP$IP 22% Prflp.6.5% agg 1.4 and he will lay down. LP is VP$IP 68% Prflp 8% agg .7 and cold calls almost everything. LP has picked up some nice pots and is around T8,500.

Blinds 100/200 pot starts at 300.
MJL delt AA.
EP raises to 1350
fold to LP who calls 1350. all fold to me.

<font color="red">What do I do, Call, Raise and how much? </font>

There is a slight chance some of the players afer me might get involved if I call because of the pot odds and their loose standards, I definately want to raise. LP is no real concern to me because his calling criteria so far is I have two cards so I could win.. EP likely has a pocket pair or AK. by the big bet of 6+ times blind I think mid pair but on any hand I am way ahead and he is likely to fold it up here with enough pressure. If I bet big enough I could take the pot right know and that wouldn't be bad at T3000. Any worth while raise EP would call would pot commit him so do I push it all in and make them decide their tournament life on this call?

Was I thinking about this situation properly and what would you suggest doing?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: How aggressive do you get here?

AA usually wins small pots, and loses the big ones. You absolutly do not want to have 3 in the pot at a cheap level. Push. It probably looks like AK, and the EP raiser will probably call. You might get calls from both players, which is good but I would prefer to be 1 v 1.

Also, if they both fold, you've increased your stack by 25% without risk.

PUSH!

gc
Old 05-16-2005, 11:28 AM

The two raises in the poll is way to small, I don't understand why 600-1200 was in the poll, anyone who raised or called 1350 will certainly call another 1200 (the pot is big) and I guess you want to play heads-up.

Why didn't you have a pot sized raise in the poll? (Or a bit more) It's far better than the smaller raises and may get one caller which you really want.

/Hagel.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Yeah. I voted raise, but what I'd do is raise to about 4K. That's not quite pot sized, but enough to commit EP if he plays while still having a chance to keep LP in.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:13 PM

I agree with Adanthar. My first instict is you want to try to have one of those players committed for all their chips preflop, so I would have raised around $4k as well. If either player has a hand, they would be pot committed.
G$
Old 05-16-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you have a pot sized raise in the poll? (Or a bit more) It's far better than the smaller raises and may get one caller which you really want.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Adanthar. My first instict is you want to try to have one of those players committed for all their chips preflop, so I would have raised around $4k as well. If either player has a hand, they would be pot committed.
G$

[/ QUOTE ]

Figured all in covered it. I wasn't thinking there is any bet between 2000 and all in.

Was I wrong in diregarding a 4000 or so bet and if I did play it that way why and what happens if called? Is it because I want action or to take the pot now? If they will call 4000 wouldn't it be correct to expect them (based on EP stack and LP habits)to call the all in?

Thank you for your thoughts. I'll post how the hand actually played out later.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:31 PM

My thought was to raise big enough to hopefully only get one caller, but not too big raise because I would like to offer decent pot odds for one of them to call.

But on the other hand, an all-in bet may induce a call because of the overbetting. All-in often means a weaker hand than a calculated raise. As I see it, most of the time: All-in = I don't want to be called (except when the big guys use some reverse psychology).

Anything less than potsized raise is out of the question I think, it only builds a big multiway pot.

/Hagel.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:45 PM

Results:
I went all in. EP said wow and took extra time then folded. LP called with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. by the river he had the flush and I'm on a life raft for a few orbits until I pick up AK and get beat by a small pair.
Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:08 PM

Ouch, you got one caller as you probably wanted (at least what I would like at that spot) and then he got lucky, what can you do? You did right, not him.

My guess is that EP had a better hand than LP....
Old 05-16-2005, 05:15 PM

Well, i'm not callin'. My goal here is to bet enough to tell a good ep player that he's beat and make the much looser later position calling station call. Somewhere around making it 3600 straight sounds about right. A don't like a push here, great oppertunities like this don't come often.

Hope it worked out.
R-