Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Can someone explain whats going on in Deadwood?

I don't get it.

1. What's Francis Wilcott's purpose in the show? Also, why did he kill those prostitutes?

2. What was Swearengan talking to Bullock about at the end of the last episode?

3. Does Bullock's brother's wife know that Bullock and Mrs. Garrett were knocking boots? Is that why she was all pissy last episode?

4. Why did that guy (forget his name) ask Mrs. Garrett to marry him? Is it because it wasn't acceptable back then to have a kid out of wedlock?

5. What is "Yankton".

6. Who is the Chinese guy with the Chinese prostitues and what role does he have in the show?

I love the show but because of the speech that's used it's sometimes hard to figure out what's being said.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain whats going on in Deadwood?

This is my understanding. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

1. Wilcott is the Head Geologist for a man named George Herst(sp?) who is both rich in gold mines and powerful. He is in Deadwood to acquire as many claims as possible because Herst wants to come in and milk the claims for all they are worth and take the profits. Wilcott killed the prostitutes because he is a sick individual and I don't think that was the first time he has killed women like that before.

2. I don't remember the exact scene right now.

3. Yes and Yes.

4. Yes. Mrs. Garrett reputation will be completely destroyed if she has a child out of wedlock...especially so soon after losing her husband. By getting married right now before the child is born it can save her reputation.

5. Yankton is the neighboring county to Deadwood (which is an illegal settlement on Indian land). When it is referred to on the show they are really talking about the county government officials that want to come in and annex Deadwood and seize the gold claims. Politics is dirty during this time period (wait.....it always has been and still is).

6. The chinese guy was brought in by Herst and Tolliver I think. I'm not sure exactly what is going on with this subplot, but I am sure that we will find out soon.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 PM

I'll take a stab at it...

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

1. What's Francis Wilcott's purpose in the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is buying up mines for the Hearst company. He recruited Cy Toliver (sp?, Powers Booth) to scare the townspeople into thinking that the state was going to take away the mining claims so that the Hearst company (through Toliver) can get them at a discount.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, why did he kill those prostitutes?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a psycho.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He talked Bullock into being Sherrif. He didn't particularly like Bullock, but at least he could trust him.

[ QUOTE ]

3. Does Bullock's brother's wife know that Bullock and Mrs. Garrett were knocking boots? Is that why she was all pissy last episode?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. She figured it out when Garrett came to greet them. The referenced it in the last episode when Mrs. Bullock dropped in on Mrs. Garrett.

[ QUOTE ]

4. Why did that guy (forget his name) ask Mrs. Garrett to marry him? Is it because it wasn't acceptable back then to have a kid out of wedlock?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Trixie suggested it to him a few episodes ago. It probably wasn't scarlet-letter bad to have a kid out of wedlock, but it wasn't good. And it would complicate the situation with the Pinkertons (her late husband's family who want to frame her for murder).

[ QUOTE ]

5. What is "Yankton".

[/ QUOTE ]

The capital claiming jurisdiction over Deadwood. I'm guessing it's the capital of Montana at the time.

[ QUOTE ]

6. Who is the Chinese guy with the Chinese prostitues and what role does he have in the show?

[/ QUOTE ]

He seems to be related to Wilcott, Hearst, and Toliver in some way. He's competing with Woo (who is allied with Swerengen) for leadership of the Chinese in town. I have been waiting for the story here to unfold more, but I may have missed something.

[ QUOTE ]

I love the show but because of the speech that's used it's sometimes hard to figure out what's being said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this get more flowerly since last season? I remember some people talking like that in formal circumstances last season, but I don't remember it from casual conversations. I gotta go back and rewatch last season though.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

1. What's Francis Wilcott's purpose in the show? Also, why did he kill those prostitutes?

5. What is "Yankton".

[/ QUOTE ]

1. He was sent to deadwood by a guy that's real big in goldmining to scoop up people's claims. He killed the whores becuase he's fkn nuts.

2. I don't remember exactly what you are talking about, but my guess is they were talking about getting Montana involved in the annexation talks to slow down Yankton's advances on the camp.

3. I'm guessing she figured it out somehow.

4. Yes.

5. The then-capital of the South Dakota territory which is trying to annex Deadwood.

6. He's a gangster from San Francisco and came at the behest of Wolcott and Tolliver. Those Chinese whores he runs belong to Tolliver (probably partial payment for helping Wolcott secure the claims). I get the impression that he's trying to wrestle control of Chinatown away from Wu.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:03 PM

Follow up question. What exactly would annexing mean? That everyones gold claim would be void? (EDIT: Just reread Wh1tbreads post which said exactly that)

What position does Swearengen have about being annexed by Yankton? From what I gather he's against it and wants Bullock to help prevent them from being annexed. Al doesn't have any gold claims (does he?) though so why should he care?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:11 PM

Ooo, another big follow-up question. Could someone explain to me exactly what's going on with Mrs. Garrett/Swearengen/the Pinkerton lady.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ooo, another big follow-up question. Could someone explain to me exactly what's going on with Mrs. Garrett/Swearengen/the Pinkerton lady.

[/ QUOTE ]

To my understanding, Garrett's ex-husband was a Pinkerton (or was related to the Pinkertons). They don't like her, and they want her mining claim. They sent the tutor to frame Garrett by claiming she told the tutor that she had her husband killed. They want to bribe Swearengen to admit he did the killing, hired by Garrett.

Swearengen is a greedly sleazeball, but he hates the Pinkertons (for some reason) and wants to screw them more than he wants the money. So, he's going to get a signed agreement from them (admitting that they are bribing him) and he's going to turn it over to Garrett.

FYI, here's some fact and fiction about Deadwood: link
Old 04-29-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me laugh really hard. I don't watch the show.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:14 PM

The best thing for you to do, is go to the HBO website and download/print/read all of the synopses from each episode. They explain each episode in plain English, it's a must-read supplement to watching the show, IMO, makes everything much easier to follow.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:19 PM

so i take it this is a good show?