Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 10:59 AM

Default JJ, I check my overpair

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

MP2, CO, and BB are very loose and passive
Button is a complete and utter lag, he seems to be raising any 2 paint cards, any A, any PP, etc. Postflop he's just as aggressive and only slows down when faced with aggression

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (5 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 04-08-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: JJ, I check my overpair

I can dig the flop play. I'd bet as a default, but I think your line is plenty reasonable.

Let's talk about a river check raise.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:04 AM

Why would you do that?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously betting is my default line, but go read my description of the button again
Old 04-08-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously betting is my default line, but go read my description of the button again

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly -- if he's very aggressive postflop, I would think there's a good chance he'd raise a flop bet from you, trapping the field for an extra bet. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Or were you going for a checkraise to try to knock people out? I think we just have differnt ideas as to how to use the button player, and I don't understand yet what result you were trying for.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:13 AM

whats up with the flop check? hoping the aggressive button would bet so you could check raise? well imo a player that aggressive would have bet top pair so i dont think you have to worry about the T pairing on the turn. i would probably lead the river and call a raise.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:14 AM

Given your description of button, I don't think going for the check/raise is a bad idea. I'd usually bet but this line has merit. On the other hand, I don't think there's any chance an utter lag checks a T. I think Evan's right that you're good here on the river enough to check/raise. 3-betting the turn isn't a bad option either.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:19 AM

On the flop I would still bet I think and hope the donk raised so that I could 3-bet and face everyone with 2 cold that way. Not quite as slick a pot protection move but it's less risky and still works. Don't hate your play though.

The way you played it I think you either need to 3-bet the turn or checkraise the river.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 AM

when was the last time you posted a hand where you didn't totally eff it up?
Old 04-08-2005, 11:22 AM

Going for a flop checkraise seems like a good idea to me, under the circumstances.

If Button quite likely either has nothing on the river or has something like T2s that he slowplayed on the flop, then I'm thinking check-calling is better than checkraising on the river.