Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 02-15-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Hold\'em variant whit weaker then weak field

Hi all.

I mostly post in the NL internet and Tourney forum so i'll introduce myself.

I'm a student and have been playing poker for over 3 years. I'm a big winner in my 25c/50c weekly live NL game and at 1/2 NL online. Also made some good scores in online tourneys

Now, there is this game where I have been invited. The guys are all total gamblers and refuse to read any poker books, saying they are crap (good start is'nt it! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]). The game is a 200$ buy-in NLHE game... or so they call it...

You see, on my very first hand, they called me a moron for folding pre-flop and not paying to see the 1st 3cards. I decided to play ULTRA loose not to upset them (about 60-70% of my hands) but it was'nt enought. after the 1st hour, they decided to change the 1/2 blinds to a 2$ ante. Also, they cap the max bet/raise to 20$.

So basically, the rules are:

Ante 2$ (preflop betting start left of the dealer)
Max bet/raise 20$
80% of pot are behing raised preflop for min 5$ or more
Everyone goes to the flop
There is always a show down!!!
River is often 4 handed or more

The problem is I'm getting over charged for seeing the flop whit suited connecters, Axs and small pairs. I know that if I hit those, I can get payed big time in many spot. However, paying 22$ to see a flop is a huge chuck of the max buy-in. And the 20$ max bet rule on all street makes chasing less interessting since it shrink the implied odds. The way the game is played, I could easyly beat it anyway whit a huge bankroll to absorb the high variance. But I don't have that kind of money right now. Well, not live [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Can you guys help me come up whit a good way to beat this game?

BTW: I know I should'nt play in games were I don't have enought backroll so pls, no need to point that out. I'm trying to figure the best way to beat those guys when I'll manage to get a roll togheter. While i'm on it, how much of a roll do you think I would need?

Thanks

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Hold\'em variant whit weaker then weak field

well, you only need a 3k bankroll to play in the 1/2NL game. but if you dont have that much its ok if you want to play in it as long as you have a steady job and its not like losing the money will force you into starvation.

because your roll is small you should be playing tight. i know that you dont want to upset the other players by playing this way, which is smart, because you dont when them kicking you out of the game, but you have to find a medium then. you cant play suited connectors upfront because your roll is small, and because your implied odds are not very good despite the fact that there will always be a showdown.

if each street is getting juiced to $20, then you are really playing in a 10/20 game and not a 1/2NL game.

im sure some others could give you better strategic advice, but since im the first poster here i would recommend that you simply play the game like 10/20, as far as starting hands are concerned.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Hold\'em variant whit weaker then weak field

Thx for the reply.

I see this game has a 20/20 limit whit 2$ ante. I know those game used to exist, the same betting limit on all street.

As anyone ever played in such a game?
Any more takers on strategie change?

Thanks

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]