Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 11:13 AM

Default the nuts, but not THE nuts. . .

Gradually making the move from the Party 10+1 to the 20+2s. Playing about 80/20 20+2. I'll preface this post by saying that a recent point of emphasis in my game is to give my opponents a little bit more credit for the bets that they make at the 20+2 level. Sure, things are still fishy in the 20s, but not as much as the 10s.

The situation:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 (t680)
<font color="C00000">MP3 (t1585)</font>
CO (t400)
Button (t1610)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1245)</font>
<font color="C00000">BB (t185)</font>
UTG (t630)
UTG+1 (t1030)
MP1 (t635)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

t5 to complete with a couple of limpers. Let's see what flops.

Flop: (t90) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Hit the flop hard, first to act, and I check. Could have bet to chase the flush draws, but I chose to see what happens

Turn: (t90) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t15</font>, UTG calls t15, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to t60</font>, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls t60, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t170 (All-In)</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls t110, Hero calls t110.

A beautiful card. I perform the "think about it for a while before reluctantly calling" maneuver on both the MP3 raise and BB slide.

River: (t615) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero?

<font color="black"> MP3 fattened up a few hands prior by PF baby raising AA in the SB to one limper, so he has the potential to try to be a little tricky. The only hands that beat Hero are AA, KK, 99, &amp; A6, and we chop if he has K6. On the flip side there are numerous hands that he could have hit on either the turn or river that would warrant his t200 lead. Do you call him down, reraise to about t600, or slide? Would your move ever change based on the game situation, i.e. early, middle, or late rounds of a multi-table? All comments welcome. <font color="black"> </font>
Old 10-09-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: the nuts, but not THE nuts. . .

allin.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:52 AM

I don't really like checking all the way, but if you play it this way, you have to go check raise all-in on the river.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:03 PM

when would you have bet? F, T, R or a combination of all three?
Old 10-09-2004, 02:12 PM

I think you played it well ... maybe you could have raised on the turn.

I would check-raise on the river.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:45 PM

I agree with everyone else who responded that you should have thrown in a raise somewhere along the way. I personally like raising the turn a little more than the minimum. It's a sneaky play, but I like it for two reasons. First, there is evidence that MP3 likes his hand (I think something like K9 or maybe a flush), and he therefore won't read your raise as anything special. Second, if you aren't going to bet your monsters, what are you going to bet... I find the SnG 10 and even 20 players aren't neccessarily anything special, and won't read to deeply into your raise.

You should raise the river whatever you think MP3 will call, he's obviously thinking that he's been trapping you, but I'm sure you're still good... he probably puts you on a six and wants you to pay off his flush... if you think he will call it, move in. If not, raise to whatever you think he will call.

Cheers

Pat
Old 10-09-2004, 03:37 PM

Thanks for all your comments.
Under "normal" circumstances, I probably would have lead bet the turn when the K hit completing the flush . . .BUT, with the short stack to my immediate left I was hoping that he would slide/bluff slide at the pot after the flop checked all the way around, betting for me. I agree that I easily could have reraised MP3's call on the turn for a decent amount, and he probably would have called under the circumstances (in fact, I don't always play a strong hand so cold, typically I would have small bet the flop, check/raised the turn, and lead big on the river). I thought that by having the short stack bet for me, it would be harder for MP3 to put me on a hand.

The results, for anyone interested:

River: (t615) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets t200</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises to t1060</font>, Hero calls t460 (All-In).

Final Pot: t2735
<font color="green">Main Pot: t615 (t615), between MP3, Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 (t615).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t2120 (t2120), between MP3 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 (t2120).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has 5d 6d (three of a kind, sixes).
MP3 has 9d 9h (full house, nines full of sixes).
Hero has 6h Kd (full house, sixes full of kings).
Outcome: MP3 wins t2735. </font>

he had me at hello