Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 12:04 PM

Default An AA hand

I debated awhile before calling the river bet. The problem is there's exactly one hand that I can see him playing this way that I can beat. Should this call have been a no-brainer? Should I have bet the river? No real read, other than that he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary.

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls.

River: (10.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (12.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ac As (two pair, aces and tens).
Button shows 4d 3d (two pair, tens and fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.50 BB. </font>
Old 07-09-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: An AA hand

Very interesting river. Terrible for anyone raising top pair, terrible for anyone pushing a flush draw, awesome if it counterfeits a weird low pair.

I think you played it correctly.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I debated awhile before calling the river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a terrible card, but folding here would be catastrophic. Lots of people will take shots at the pot when a scare card falls (especially after you checked to him).
Old 07-09-2004, 01:14 PM

hey vazh,

you will see this happen time and time again (overpair getting resistance and then river pairing top card) - and just like clockwork they will bet in to you. If you played your overcards correctly, like you did in this case - call the river bet. If you know your opponent super well and know that he will either definitely bluff at it or definitely have it, you can then make the judgement call. But generally call and dont even worry about it.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:05 PM

Default the real question, who played it wrong?

HERO, Button, or no one.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: the real question, who played it wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
HERO, Button, or no one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Button played it wrong. He called PFR who 3-bet him on the flop with bottom pair unimproved on the turn. I don't like that play.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Button played it wrong. He called PFR who 3-bet him on the flop with bottom pair unimproved on the turn. I don't like that play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Button had two pair on the turn (on the flop actually). He should have raised.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:20 PM

I don't think either one of them played it *terribly*, although button should have shown more agression the turn.

It was fairly obvious that hero had a big pair and that he was still ahead.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:30 PM

I think button played his hand poorly. First of all I think 4-3s is a little low to be playing... maybe not by much...but it crosses the line a little... Not to mention he had only one limper- so I think that was a terrible play. Once he got his 2 pair on the flop against a possible flush draw and a preflop raiser, he should have aimed to cap flop and raise turn. Then when his 2 pair gets discounted, he then trys to bluff when he should know that you most likely will call for one more bet.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:19 PM

I think his play was questionable as well. 34s is garbage in this spot IMO. Then he has to either cap the flop or raise the turn. I thought it was a good river bet on his part though.

I was happy with the way I played it.