Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2004, 02:52 PM

Default A silly question

This is about my third hand at this table, so no reads. I'm wondering what your default play is in this situation. I think I favor folding but it feels weak. Sure, I could be behind the pfr and drawing to 5 outs, but I'm having trouble reading the flop raise in front of me. If it's a top pair raise then it's likely my kicker will get me in trouble.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $3. UTG+1 posts a blind of $3.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero ...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:01 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: A silly question

I'd raise this preflop, rather than limping after posters.

on the flop, I'd just call and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise this preflop, rather than limping after posters.

on the flop, I'd just call and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? the flop is either going to hit me pretty hard or im getting out. why raise it? you cant feel you have the best hand at this point. what am i missing?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:35 PM

because he is a lag?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:47 PM

why? the flop is either going to hit me pretty hard or im getting out. why raise it? you cant feel you have the best hand at this point. what am i missing?

Two things:

#1 You are the first to VP$IP
#2 It could buy you the button

Also since you didnt raise this preflop I would fold here. The pot is small and the board is dangerous.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:49 PM

All I can really tell here is that this is a raise or fold situation. The board is pretty coordinated, and I think it is pretty likely that one of the two bettors in front of you is betting some kind of draw (possibly a massive draw like Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something like that). Since you have a hand that is not that likely to improve, you have to figure that you are either ahead here or way behind; since calling here does nothing to improve your likelihood of winning the hand, if you are going to play I think you have to pressure any potential draws and raise.

With that said, you could very well be raising into an overpair from the SB or from a better 9 by UTG, or both (which is really terrible). If the SB or UTG caps it, you are almost certainly beat here, and might get tied to the pot with odds to try and hit a 5 outer which may not even be good... So, obviously raising has some serious problems here.

Hence, my default play here would be just to fold. Unless you have a read that says both of the bettors are really laggy, I think you are way to likely to be beaten by one or both of them here, and so raising could be totally disastrous. Calling is a totally passive play here, and so the only option left is to fold.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:53 PM

I dont think itīs a good idea here, since there is most likely no chance of them folding after posted in EP...Usually EP players wanna play and will take their hands too far. So raises is just killing your implied odds with a hand that doesnīt win itīs share.