Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Commercial break

[ QUOTE ]
When you get a chance to see it again, more calmly, and preferably from the camera behind the net, perhaps you will see that there is obstruction. Until then, we will simply disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure when I will see it again. But Terry is standing under the ball. No way is this obstruction. The foul was given for him pushing the keeper. It was wrong. I doubt their will be an until then [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The major change has to do with fouling on the pitch, not on the keeper. Since FIFA started promoting more severe refereeing, we are seeing definitely better football and more skills. The keeper is still pretty much protected as he used to be, maybe a little more now. But the major change is that players like Zidane can show off their talents without fearing "Chopper" Harris ending their career with a tackle from behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree outlawing the tackle from behind has been a major benefit to the game but the protection of goalkeepers is just getting ludicrous, any fan or player will argue this with you.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any other player I the squad that is capable of the things Rooney is

[/ QUOTE ]

He's good but not the finished article. You have seen Henry, Van Nilstroy and even Shearer play? England have 3 world class players - Becks, Scholes and Ferdinand. Rooney will hopefully join their ranks but as yet he is not, as far as I'm concerned he had a spectacular tournament and the jury is still out. I remember the same hyperbole over Owen when he scored against the Argies (not to mention Barnes) and he has failed to deliver on the grandest stages.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm afraid this is results-guided thinking instead of percentages-guided thinking. Listen : A good penalty is a penalty that manages to do at least one of these things : (a) make the keeper dive the wrong way (b) hit the side of the net or (c) hit the upper corner of the net.

The England penalties looked good because the Portuguese keeper kept falling (see 'a' above) when he shouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

a - only if it goes in
b - the back or side (as long as it the inside) of the net
c - actually bottom corner is just as good.

Whos being results orientated? If James dives the opposite ways to which he did he would have had a good chance of saving at least 3. (I guess the Portuguese are just excellent foolers with their fancy run ups)

[ QUOTE ]
No joke. I was a Gazza acolyte. How heavy must Rooney get before you realize that the weight is catastrophic? This is not the Puskas era, you know. Weight is the downfall for footballers when so much running is required. (And skilful players cannot apply their skills when they are out of breath.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Gazza had his problems but even so he was still one of the greatest footballers ever. Would he have been the same player if his demons had been suppressed? I doubt it. They are people not machines. I don't read the British papers often (and when I do it is only for sport) but I'm unaware that Rooney has a weight problem. He's a big lad yes but being able to run at 100mph for 90 minutes is not the be all and end all of football, control is what matters.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree. England have lost in shootouts in the last four or five major tournaments they were involved! This is called a pattern. Something is wrong - and needs fixing. My opinion is the coach should've taken this psychological burden of past shootout losses off the players' minds - and have them practice for God's sake.

PENALTY SHOOTOUTS ARE LIKE FOOTBALLERS PLAYING A ROUND OF TENNIS AFTER THE FOOTBALL GAME! It's a whole different ball game (excuse the pun) but also a crucial part of today's game. I'm continually surprised at coaches who don't pay the required attention to it.

You think Sven had his players practice penalty kicks? I would bet not - he would probably consider this as too pessimistic.

As to Beckham's penalties (that have cost England dearly once more), the less said the better.

[/ QUOTE ]

They pratice.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:39 PM

Default A little more football talk

"The protection of goalkeepers is just getting ludicrous, any fan or player will argue this with you."

I doubt that. The keeper was always protected inside the small area (he is not supposed to be challenged inside it - and that's official, that's what the small area is for).

FIFA eliminated some "keeper privileges", such as grabbing the ball after a back pass. (And keepers now get immediately sent off for handling outside the area.) This is complimented by a little more keepr protection. The package of new guidelines as a whole makes for more plays away from the keeper! This is the opposite of the old-style British game (lobbing the ball close to the goal and have your bulky centre forwards lurch for a header, elbows flying) and it helps create more enjoyable plays.

"[Wayne Rooney] is good but not the finished article."

I agree, of course. But I insist "I don't see any other player I the squad that is capable of the things Rooney is". I'm not referring to skill or world-class abilities, but his role as someone who keeps both the center and the opposite back four honest. Someone who can roll the ball forward from the center and thus create opportunities for runners.

"I remember the same hyperbole over Owen when he scored against the Argies (not to mention Barnes) and he has failed to deliver on the grandest stages."

Barnes, I believe has delivered. (The Barnes story is a drama in itself, BTW.) As to Owen, I think he is burned out from too many games. Which is the major point you should have brought up about England's defeat. The star players simply had too many matches in their bodies when that tournament started.

Becks the heaviest weight of all. Remember Real Madrid's fiasco of a "world tour" last summer, right after Beckham joined the squad? The man has not rested for the last 12 months! You can't expect world class performances from your world class players when they are utterly exhausted (Beckham) or just plain fat (Rooney, very shortly).

"Who's being results orientated?"

You. Except for Beckham's, would you want the England players next time to strike their penalties the way they did against Portugal? Wouldn't you rather have them shoot with the calm confidence and the skilful placement of the Portuguese? (That slowly-rolling one was a marvel. Reminded me of the Czech Panenka's classic.)

"They practice."

Yeah, at wanking. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2004, 10:33 PM

Check this:

(best picture I could find)
Old 06-26-2004, 06:15 AM

Yes, but the Keeper jumps INTO Terry and gets his arm stuck.
This is the critical point. If Terry had jumperd into the keeper the issue is different.

I am a qualified referee, this goal should have stood.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Re: The refereeing was faultless. Learn to shoot penalties, FGS!

I love this thread, seriously. Soccer needs what American football has I guess, allowing the referee to review certain calls with a video tape replay. Then they could have gotten the "no conclusive evidence to overturn the ruling on the field" call [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. The super star choked on a penalty kick, England had their chances.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Beckhams penalty

Not sure whether this was already mentioned, but in super slow motion one could see that the ball started moving towards the goal right before Beck hit the ball. These few centimeters might have made all the difference between hitting the goal or shooting 5 km above it.

BTW: What´s your favourite right now? I´d put my money at the czechs.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 06-26-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Re: A little more football talk

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt that. The keeper was always protected inside the small area (he is not supposed to be challenged inside it - and that's official, that's what the small area is for).

[/ QUOTE ]

Rubbish. It's so he knows where to take goal kicks.

[ QUOTE ]
As to Owen, I think he is burned out from too many games. Which is the major point you should have brought up about England's defeat. The star players simply had too many matches in their bodies when that tournament started.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a major problem with the England game.

[ QUOTE ]
(That slowly-rolling one was a marvel.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if James had just stood still the Portuguese player would have looked a complete c&*t

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, at wanking.

[/ QUOTE ]

With their money, they get in experts to help them out. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2004, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Beckhams penalty

I was speaking to my father an hour after the game and all of a sudden he said "Jeez, you won't believe what's just landed in the garden".

"What" says I

"The ball from Beckhams penalty" he replys